Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Character Tiers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Langston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting ready to start my gaming group on Pathfinder, and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that certain characters are inherently stronger/better than others, or if there are certain characters that are weaker?

With this in mind, I normally play a mage/bard of some kind when I RPG, so I'm wondering if I should steer clear of any particular magic characters, or if they all have their own merits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
I am getting ready to start my gaming group on Pathfinder, and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that certain characters are inherently stronger/better than others, or if there are certain characters that are weaker?

With this in mind, I normally play a mage/bard of some kind when I RPG, so I'm wondering if I should steer clear of any particular magic characters, or if they all have their own merits?

How many characters will be playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking Valeros + Ezren pair probably doesn't care what monsters they face, they'll handle them easily enough, but with only 3 Blessings between them and not all that outstanding in skills beyond their mains (Str and Int), imagine they might have trouble beating the clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that certain characters are more helpful, but all the characters are pretty strong.

Harsk has 5 blessings, and can recharge a card to boost peoples fights that are at different locations. And he does well in combat as long as he has a ranged weapon. With my blessings, I can boost other peoples checks (combat or otherwise) or use them to continue to explore)

Meanwhile, one of the wizards (my friends character, can't remember the name)gets no blessings, and has to use spells from hand to help in checks, and only if he has spells that are applicable. If the wizard encounters a spell, he can explore again, but that's it.

The Baird is a swiss army knife, and shouldn't be overlooked, and can add dice to any check at his location, as well as act as a healer if you have a selfish healer/paladin character.

And one of the warriors adds a free die to any combat check at his location, so he's super strong as a first player and then everyone can follow him to quickly close the first 2-3 locations before splitting up.

So, I guess my point is, look more for synergies between your team, and less for individual brute strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Bard and the Cleric are my favorite.

Both can use a weapon and still cast a spell and a Blessing.

That equals big hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezren is a bit more limited in what he can do than the others (though he certainly has his strengths, he is tricky to play). Lini is a bit fragile at low levels unless the other characters can help her out. Harsk and Lem are stronger in smaller groups. But, really, all the characters are perfectly playable, though some of them are a bit easier to figure out than others (Marisiel and Valeros are probably the easiest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:

I refer you to Character Combat Strength Analysis.

As far as what you should play: in general the game is not super-punishing on the characters once you get the hang of it, and ALL of the characters level up well. So play what you want. If you have a group of 3 or 4 you'll probably be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
I've very much enjoyed playing as Seoni (the sorcereress). She can be a powerhouse with the right combination of spells, blessings, allies, and items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Character Combat Strength Analysis above is pretty good for looking at the numbers breakdowns.

I will say though, that the strength of each character can vary quite a bit depending on how many others are in your group, and what other areas of proficiency your group has.

In all of the games I've played, when we have a balanced team we end up having the most consistent success. Playing with a healer and without a healer are two very different games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
The Character Combat Strength Analysis above is pretty good for looking at the numbers breakdowns.

I will say though, that the strength of each character can vary quite a bit depending on how many others are in your group, and what other areas of proficiency your group has.

In all of the games I've played, when we have a balanced team we end up having the most consistent success. Playing with a healer and without a healer are two very different games!

Agreed.

P.S. We use Lini as a healer, as we aren't playing with Kyra. And Seoni is probably best with high player counts (e.g. low number of turns per player) as she tends to kill herself if she tries to overextend. Lem and Harsk are apparently very versatile but we aren't using them, so I can't speak to that. Merisiel is powerful on her own or in a large group, as is Amiri (although she's a bit of a one-trick pony). I like Sajan, but he'll have some trouble in some scenarios if he doesn't have help. Seelah is kind of "meh." Ezren was OK, but our Ezren died, so I can't speak to how he does well later in the game. We haven't tried Valeros, but he seems pretty solid (probably better in large groups than Amiri?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
Lini is a bit fragile at low levels unless the other characters can help her out. Harsk and Lem are stronger in smaller groups.

Pack Cure and Inflict twice each; she will be hard to stop. Play lots of blessings and Cure them back. Use an item slot or Find Traps to deal with barriers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In descending order of importance, you probably will want to:

*Do damage
*Heal yourselves
*Get extra explorations (i.e., have lots of allies and blessings)
*Add to one anothers' checks
*Have a variety of skills (disable, perception, arcane, etc.)

Do as Michael Ray has suggested and make a well-rounded group, and you will have an experience that is full of win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
Lini is a bit fragile at low levels unless the other characters can help her out. Harsk and Lem are stronger in smaller groups.

Pack Cure and Inflict twice each; she will be hard to stop. Play lots of blessings and Cure them back. Use an item slot or Find Traps to deal with barriers.

I definitely second that. That is how my Lini operates and she holds up really well. The other night the person playing Merisiel was saying she wished she was more like Lini. Of course I will use those Cure's to help the others as well if they take some nasty hits and need a pick-me-up.

Seoni is my second favorite as it is nice to know that those spells will always recharge so no bad dice rolls will take those out of commission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuck Johnson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Ezren gets a bad rap as being difficult and without blessings, but he's my fav and I just want to set the record straight. He gets to freely explore again if he acquires a card with the magic trait. This could be a spell, armor, weapon, or an item. This could lead to loads of extra explorations or none if he fails his checks or only meets monsters or henchman.

I hope this shows he's a little more versatile and therefore fun .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too love Ezren. He is one of my top 3. His "guaranteed" exploration weakness can quickly be overcome with an ally feat or two. Then pick up Haste later. And if you give him Scrying or Augury, he doesn't really even "have" to explore every turn, because he'll save you turns by putting things below the henchman/villain.

But I wouldn't advise playing him as your first character. He takes a little more familiarity with the game to master, at least in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so three out of the four folks in our little party have weighed in on their character choices. One will be Lem (Bard), another Seelah (paladin), and I think that I am going to go with Kyra (Cleric).

With one more player left to decide, this may seem a little too "Healer Heavy", a little too weak on the damage front. However, I'm planning on focusing Kyra on the attack aspect of her character rather than the support. And we still have one more guy to decide.

Does this seem like a team (without, obviously knowing who the fourth will be) that has a pretty good chance of doing well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
Okay, so three out of the four folks in our little party have weighed in on their character choices. One will be Lem (Bard), another Seelah (paladin), and I think that I am going to go with Kyra (Cleric).

With one more player left to decide, this may seem a little too "Healer Heavy", a little too weak on the damage front. However, I'm planning on focusing Kyra on the attack aspect of her character rather than the support. And we still have one more guy to decide.

Does this seem like a team (without, obviously knowing who the fourth will be) that has a pretty good chance of doing well?

Personally, I think any team of 4 can do well. If it was just me, and I was playing all 4, Sajan, Valeros, Amiri, or Merisiel as the 4th character. Maybe Harsk would be ok too. So just avoid another spell caster probably. That would help increase the skill diversity. But let them choose whoever they will be happiest playing. You should be able to do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:

In the Rise of the Runelords adventure path for PACG, at least, I'm not entirely sure this is a question you need to ask. Hawkmoon is likely correct in that you should get through Runelords just fine with just about any four characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls