Subject: First turn, exploration / migration clarification question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Masta De Gumbo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
FYI: I'm playing the 15 fish Barbe Bleue scenario.

During my first turn I'm exploring the archipelago from the open ocean. I can, theoretically, move my ships to explore, but what about my starting meeple(s)? The regular exploration doesn't include a migration to mainland from the sea (except in turn 0), but in this case how would I handle the exploration action? Does the meeple stay in the ocean, left behind by the exploring ships or does it enter the first explorable landmass along with the ship (a la turn #0)? Or does moving the meeple from the ocean to the land require a second 'migration' action?

thanks for the clarification!

Just my two cents: these scenarios are tough but they are fun to play. very addictive. Perfect draws and shrewd luck are essential to get gold - though I'm happy with silver and/or not having a revolt on my hands!

Update: I think my question was addressed here but can anyone give me an updated perspective on this? How do you handle your meeples in exploration in Turn #1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated perspective is that they were right - just like a regular turn 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lafond
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always unload them on the first bit of land I come to, even if it's a tile I don't want them to be on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bikini Cowboy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, They both dropped on the first land they found (sort of like CC)

Small note: to win the game i had to buy the last 2 token from the domestic market. I fished 5 tokens because that was all that was left in the bank, instead of my total 6. Did anyone else had this happen? Did you just take from the market? Can this be done?

I finished with silver medal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In scenarios with two starting meeples, can I just put one on the first land explored, keeping the second for a following exploration?

.... or this is a meaningless question?? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mae68it wrote:
In scenarios with two starting meeples, can I just put one on the first land explored, keeping the second for a following exploration?

.... or this is a meaningless question?? whistle
Not a meaningless question at all, IMHO.

If your first explored tile doesn't have resources you want, and you see that the next one will, you might want to hold off disembarking EITHER or BOTH workers into the first tile. Then explore the next tile, disembark the workers, and then as the third action harvest the resources you want. If you disembarked you'd have to explore that next tile with workers and leave the ship behind if you want to harvest. Or worse, if that next tile (where you want your workers) couldn't be explored by the workers.

That doesn't seem to be allowed within the rules (and Christophe says the words mean what they say, even though there seem to be situations unaccounted for by the rules - for example, the rules don't give you any way to disembark those workers from your ship after turn 0, which doesn't exist in solo games) but it certainly seems within the theme of the game. Think about it. You've sailed across the ocean, so of course you're anxious to get on land. But if that first bit of land is not that great and you see a much better spot just ahead, are you going to stay on that first bit or wait for a better landing spot? I know what I woud do.

To my mind, in a game with a strong theme element, and the theme is why I bought this game, the rules should support the theme. So if the rules need to be 'interpreted' a little to fit the theme and this won't break the game, then it makes sense to 'interpret' the rules. But then I'm a 'tweaker', but not in the meth-user sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls