Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game looks very interesting. I am not a wargamer, but I am interested in the genre and have done a good amount of research into introductory wargames.

I also really enjoy games with the time length of a filler but that provide interesting decisions (and ideally some tactical play and/or strategy). An example of a game like that is Iliad: tense, tactical, and short. I really like it!

FoG the card game seems to fit the above criteria. However, inclucing shipping the cost to get the game will be $34. Is this a bit pricey for a simple card game or is this a good value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Evan. I think it's up to your wallet is it that worth or not. Before you make a decision look the price of Battle Line. It is also a card game of ancient battle with the time lenght of a filler. In my mind it is very much same kind of game than Fields of Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battleline is a fun game (I have it and enjoy it), but has absolutely no connection with the historical era in which it is set. It is a rummy game (and its original German version was a straight up set-taking game with no historical overlay). Field of Glory is a simple tactical game of ancient warfare. Units and combat are quite generalized. However, it does have a historical basis and very nice artwork (as does Battleline). As to the price....I suspect this will not always be available, and so would suggest buying if you are interested in the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

If Battle Line is the closest comparison to FoG the card game, then for me it will be a pass.

Battle Line is an interesting game, however it's mostly an abstract game that is enjoyable in trying to get the right comination of cards but does not give me any tension or feeling of being in a battle.

In looking at FoG, I'm was hoping there would be a bit more battlefield tactics or combat strategy like flanking, retreat, etc.

If it's as abstract as Battle Line then for me it will not be worth the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays nothing like Battleline, and every comparison to it is a disservice. It has flanking, retreats, unit type interactions, terrain, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
The game plays nothing like Battleline, and every comparison to it is a disservice. It has flanking, retreats, unit type interactions, terrain, etc.

Well, that certainly makes this game much more interesting then.

I'll have to do a wallet check I suppose in order decide if I should actually get it.

One thing that would probably push me to pull the trigger on this is if there was any hope of expansions or further decks for this game in the future. Then I would definitely be willing to invest in this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider $34 a "good price", if I could find it... in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is difficult to estimate if this game is worth 35$ or not. It depends of your taste and your money available for games.

I bought this game blindly in Essen (for 12 or 15 euros though) because it was Martin Wallace and I don't regret it. Frankly, I discovered a clever little game which is very different than Battleline. I think it is a lot more thematic and offers some variability because of the drafting at the beginning and the type of terrain.

I haven't played many games so I can't tell you if it remains interesting or not after 15 or 20 games though.

Have a gook look at this game before to let it pass. If you don't like it I guess it might not be that difficult to resell it.

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Thanks for the response.

If Battle Line is the closest comparison to FoG the card game, then for me it will be a pass.

Battle Line is an interesting game, however it's mostly an abstract game that is enjoyable in trying to get the right comination of cards but does not give me any tension or feeling of being in a battle.

In looking at FoG, I'm was hoping there would be a bit more battlefield tactics or combat strategy like flanking, retreat, etc.

If it's as abstract as Battle Line then for me it will not be worth the purchase.

It's quite a lot less abstract than Battle Line, and flanking and retreating are in there.

Check if the rules are available on the Treefrog website and if do, take a read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
One thing that would probably push me to pull the trigger on this is if there was any hope of expansions or further decks for this game in the future.

To be honest, I doubt it. The decks are already generic, so there's no obvious scope for expansion.

Martin has speculated about other periods using similar rules. But I'm pretty sure that would depend on this game selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
United States
Auburndale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
But I'm pretty sure that would depend on this game selling.
It strikes me that selling only directly from the publisher, with a +40% shipping markup, is optimized for 'per unit' profit margin rather than total sales. I find it surprising that Treefrog hasn't taken advantage of partnerships made for distribution of A Study in Emerald, like Coolstuff in the US. ASiE is not discounted by Coolstuff, but at least it's available without a huge shipping markup, and with reasonably timely delivery. (A gaming buddy of mine ordered FoG Card Game from Treefrog a month ago and still hasn't received it.)

One might also think that Treefrog would want to leverage the brand name, and enable the few retail stores that still exist and offer the Field of Glory miniatures rules sets to sell this card game side by side with its namesake. If the game is good, they could have a sales hit on their hands. With the "coffee straw" distribution model currently in place, that's hard to imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the disclaimer that I only hear news via this and similar forums:

I get the impression that Treefrog were only permitted to publish this game with certain limits on its distribution. From what I gather, it was nearly pulled from the market altogether by the owners of the FoG license.

And with absolutely no grounding at all I'd like to share the idea that maybe that is because the game is so self contained, and perhaps not so amenable to the kind of expansion-based model that the owners are keen on.

Anyone with better knowledge should feel free to shoot me down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI has it in stock currently for $24.99.

But stock is going fast. If you haven't bought it yet at what will probably be the lowest price you'll ever see it, I would do it fast. Stock is dropping quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Martinez
United States
Carnation
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

May no longer matter to you, but just in case...

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Glory-The-Card-Game/dp/B00HVFPZ6...

On Amazon USA @$19.99 + $3.00 shipping

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikadder wrote:

May no longer matter to you, but just in case...

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Glory-The-Card-Game/dp/B00HVFPZ6...

On Amazon USA @$19.99 + $3.00 shipping

Cheers!

Bad Man! No willpower today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cothran
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a French PnP version out there...

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls