Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theofilos Koutroubis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!!! Devastation just arrived today and I have no words to describe this masterpiece! It's absolutely amazing, full of content and many suprises! I only have one question (so far). Are there rules for a Free for all duel? As the rules hint that they exist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current multiplayer (1v2, 1v3, 2v2) rules seem to depend pretty heavily on teammates being able to choose who's hit by an attack if it could hit more than one of them.

I suspect (though I haven't tried any FFA variants) that if an attacker could always choose which of several opponents they were hitting, high priority would be too valuable (you get to pick off whoever's a threat to you this beat) and low stun guard would become too much of a liability (because multiple people might have the chance to zing you and you can't dodge all of them).

All that said, I don't remember seeing official free-for-all rules. But who knows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
The current multiplayer (1v2, 1v3, 2v2) rules seem to depend pretty heavily on teammates being able to choose who's hit by an attack if it could hit more than one of them.

I suspect (though I haven't tried any FFA variants) that if an attacker could always choose which of several opponents they were hitting, high priority would be too valuable (you get to pick off whoever's a threat to you this beat) and low stun guard would become too much of a liability (because multiple people might have the chance to zing you and you can't dodge all of them).

All that said, I don't remember seeing official free-for-all rules. But who knows!

It was mentioned before by Brad somewhere that not only does not exist Free-For-All rules for BattleCON, they are not supposed to exist. The game is always two sides against one another. Not even the campaign modes allow more than 2 sides in any given battle. We did a free-for-all once at the war board, but it was completely independent.

EDIT: Here, update 15 for the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Champ
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Damn Pam!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantelith wrote:
Hello!!! Devastation just arrived today and I have no words to describe this masterpiece! It's absolutely amazing, full of content and many suprises! I only have one question (so far). Are there rules for a Free for all duel? As the rules hint that they exist...

Congrats on the arrival and dig in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free for all in a game like this would be utter madness. I'm not sure how you would do it and make it even a fun experience let alone a true challenge of skill. I've found 2v2 to be a lot of fun though and I enjoy that very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theofilos Koutroubis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer and for the wishes Well, I am excited about trying the other modes, apart from the 1v1. They all seem so fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got me a rock and roll band, it's a free-for-all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some insider information: we planned on making a free for all mode.

The PDF for the proposed rule-set is still probably on my PC somewhere. Regardless, it just turns into utter chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did a 3 player free for all today. It was a teaching game and we weren't trying to be particularly serious. The only issue we ran in to was what to do when clashes happened, but we house ruled it and it was fine. The game ended two beats after the first player was killed, and it was very close for all players throughout.

Priority is definitely important, but positioning is also really important, and proper use of it seemed to help maintain enough of a balance for the fight to be fun. Not competitive, but enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:

The PDF for the proposed rule-set is still probably on my PC somewhere. Regardless, it just turns into utter chaos.

So be a good child and post it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
mnmkami wrote:

So be a good child and post it

That would breach my contract and land me in jail, sir! XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was FFA mode in WoI but it was unbalanced although pretty fun. Imo boss modes are more interesting in DoI for 2+ players. You can try make them even more fun if houserule somehow friendly fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a good project for a custom variant map. Have a square center space, then four spaces on each side to track each character's movement, range is always measured through the center track. Attacks always trigger against the nearest in range opponent (so, no missing a Burst against the guy 3 spaces away because you have a guy adjacent to you). During movement, you can choose which track to go on, otherwise all rules apply as with Multiplayer (jump over 1 opponent, cannot jump 2 opponents adjacent to each other).

That should give enough room for a free for all to work without running into most of the shenanigans that showed up in the War MP (particularly, starting out right next to an opponent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me, that all you would need is some sort of special 'free-for-all' token that anybody can gain when they are struck during a round.

Off the top of my head:
Each time you take damage from an opponent in a turn, you take the FFA token.

You can spend it during the beat or right after the reveal.

During the beat you gain 2X Soak (X = your total FFA tokens).
OR
After reveal, you can spend a token to add X (X = your total FFA tokens) to your priority or power.

The idea here is simply to give a bonus to each person who gets 'picked' on in a turn. The mechanic would 'force' players to try to attack a different opponent each turn, otherwise, you give on player too many FFA tokens and they become immediately better.

I suspect that the numbers I listed above may have to be higher as I don't know if they would be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls