Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of games that sit loose inside the box insert. They get all mixed up and messed up. I was wondering what solutions you use to keep cards inside the box together?

I've considered deck boxes like those used for Magic the Gathering but I'm not sure they will always fit inside game inserts and I hate throwing those out.

I'm avoiding rubber bands at all costs. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Hugo's magic tape around sleeved cards, deck boxes, the card board deck boxes that come with mtg fat packs (these are smaller and ideal for many board games), and baggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck boxes are really nice for some games. I use them for Mage Knight.

But for most games, I simply use plastic baggies. They work for the bits, and they work for cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
I use deck boxes usually, plastic bags if the cards are of irregular size (among the stars) or if the deck box won't actually fit in the box (darkest night)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bag them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of depends on the original box and insert... some I bag, some I use Hugo's tape on. It's a tossup.

One thing it is not: consistent.

;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A loose rubber band is the easiest way and usually doesn't damage cards (as long as it is loose and is changed every few years)

A plastic bag is also a very easy way, although a little more of a pain to take cards in/out. Maybe less chance of damaging cards, but use a bag that is much larger than the cards (else you'll chip them taking them in and out).

Ultra-pro deck boxes (and other Magic deck boxes) generally are too large for unsleeved decks for preserving inserts.

Making your own deck boxes gives you a better chance of preserving your insert, but requires some crafting. Most games on BGG have make-your-own deck box files for download that are very helpful though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
The sports card store has clear plastic boxes of different heights that baseball cards fit into. I use those for games like Catan for both cards and pieces. I've also used empty plastic pushpin, thumbtack, pin and nail boxes on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modify those white cardboard storage boxes for sports cards and CCG's. There's a store here in town that sells the 900-count boxes for $1 each, so I picked up a whole bunch of them. Sleeved cards fit perfectly. Just take an Exacto-knife and cut the box so that it nestles perfectly into your existing game box. See here for a great tutorial (this is where I got the idea): http://www.theboardgameblog.com/2010/02/step-by-step-fit-dom... Very good solution on the cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer hair bands over rubberbands. They're elastic bands, but covered so there isn't bare rubber/elastice exposed. Where I live hot weather can cause regular rubberbands to melt to cards and things.
Alternatively, I go with plastic ziplock bags. Or the rare box insert where the cards fit in snugly and don't need further "restraint".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is making a custom foam core insert an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
make your own custom tuck boxes with this template maker?

http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mplatov1812 wrote:
make your own custom tuck boxes with this template maker?

http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/

That's an awesome link! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls