Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons And Dragons Attack Wing by WizKids, much like their Star Trek variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For real? So far, all I can confirm is this (e.g. licensing but no confirmation of what they're using it for, exactly - presumably Heroclix that double as miniatures for D&D RPG).

In any case...

shake

*edit*
I shouldn't be so harsh. The flight path system makes a lot more sense thematically for D&D dragons dogfighting in atmosphere than for Star Trek's capital ships dogfighting in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a link or anything? The only thing I could find looked like D&D Minis with round bases in coop with Wizards of the Coast. I haven't seen anything related to the flightpath system and these new D&D Minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For real.

Some details found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1xaeik/we_are_wizkids_....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's from an official response on a reddit page wizkisgames created to mark this bizarre event.. I'll try to find the link, they way I originally got to it is via their twitter page that links to the reddit page.

Edit- someone always beats me to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
Is there a link or anything?

not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:

From there:

WizKids_Games wrote:
The initial release will not be on our Combat Dial clix bases. We're looking at our options, including HeroClix, for future releases. We can confirm that we are doing an Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing game, which will use the same game engine as Star Trek: Attack Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I resisted Star Trek.

I'm not sure I can resist this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
I resisted Star Trek.

I'm not sure I can resist this.

Unfortunately.... I feel the same.

Trek seems too much a hybrid of X-Wing and Fleet Captains to care about.

This... is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cyrenne
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to have a fantasy skirmish game using the flightpath system. I'm hoping that this will use primarily ground-based units so we can have fighters, mages and rogues fighting off hordes of goblins. The expansion possibilities for this would be huge, as would the damage to my wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WizKids_Games wrote:
The initial release will not be on our Combat Dial clix bases. We're looking at our options, including HeroClix, for future releases. We can confirm that we are doing an Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing game, which will use the same game engine as Star Trek: Attack Wing.

laugh

surprise

gulp

Really, Wizards? Really? Things were bad when you fired more and more of your long-time RPG designers and developers and replaced them with "brand managers" and underpaid freelancers. Things got worse when you decided that 4E had to be prematurely replaced. And when you decided you'd try to claw back some of the Pathfinder fans with a more-retro-than-thou adaptation of AD&D, I gave up in disgust.

But now, for some reason, you've decided that murdering a game I loved through a combination of inertia and corporate stupidity wasn't enough. Now you're renting its corpse out to one of the more unsavory pimps on the tabletop-minis block, tossing some fresh lipstick on it, and hoping the johns are so desperate that we won't notice the stink of decay.

Exactly how dumb do you think we are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Really, Wizards? Really?
…maybe I'm being overly intemperate. blush

Maybe it will turn out to be a fun, balanced skirmish game, and if I'm honest--I will at least demo this. But I'm really afraid that the smart money here is on a quick, one-off raid on the wallets of D&D players with slapdash rules and re-used sculpts with awful paint jobs. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also worried that Wizkids will put more effort into this and the existing Attack Wing, and we'll never see another expansion for Star Trek: Fleet Captains... which would be a terrible shame. But I understand that there's a lot more $$$ in the collectible games market, and Wizkids is nothing if not interested in making as much $$$ as possible (it's hard to blame them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see this coming... It sucks actually since I am already invested in X-Wing and a pile of other FFG games, no room in the budget for Air combat in D&D... although I'll see how I hold out when the minis start having photos uploaded here. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
and we'll never see another expansion for Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Playtesting on it finished well over a year ago. I don't think it will be coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, they said recently that they aren't "done" with Fleet captains, whatever that turns out to mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fantasy guy I can easily resist a flight path D&D game.

On the other hand I wonder if this means we can have the space dragon back from Starfleet Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Actually, they said recently that they aren't "done" with Fleet captains, whatever that turns out to mean.

I certainly put a lot of work into testing that next expansion, so it would be nice to actually see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Aimon wrote:
For real.

[q="WizKids_Games"]The initial release will not be on our Combat Dial clix bases. We're looking at our options, including HeroClix, for future releases. We can confirm that we are doing an Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing game, which will use the same game engine as Star Trek: Attack Wing.

I've spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on X-Wing. I'm not interested in the slightest in Trek. But this....

dragons

DRAGONS

My wife is going to kill me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Howlflyer - all friendly dragons at range 1 may reroll one of their fireball dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Yeah, if this was someone other than Wizkids and perhaps a dragon property I cared about (say, Naomi Novak's Temeraire series), then maybe. But I look at how well the sculpts are for the fairly simple starships designs. And then I look at my Valyndra miniature. There is no possible way for Wizkids to make a sculpt that will satisfy me for these dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
this is going to be so naff.

what will be next?

neopets fairy combat using the flightpath system?

In all honestly I think anyone trying to make a game that will be the same as x wing, and trying to hit the same sales as x wing, can only fail. everyone knows when it comes to franchise star wars is the top trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is misreading this as a dragon attack wing game when it is a Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing game. There'll be dragons of course, but there could also be demons, gargoyles, beholders, succubi, and other monsters that fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Everyone is misreading this as a dragon attack wing game when it is a Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing game. There'll be dragons of course, but there could also be demons, gargoyles, beholders, succubi, and other monsters that fly.

Taken from Wizkids' Facebook announcement of the news: "We have 2 products planned so far - An RPG accessory line and an 'Attack Wing' game featuring ...(wait for it).....Dogfighting dragons"

"Featuring"... so you could be right, maybe it's not just dragons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they manage to have the models not suck, they may already have my money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |