Subject: Why would user accounts 'disappear' or be deleted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lam
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just curious, I noticed in some of my old GMs that a particular user is no longer even listed as a user. His account is gone. While I know people could have there account removed for various negative reasons, I've traded with him and he seemed nice enough, so I was just wondering if there were other reasons for accounts to be deleted that weren't of the nefarious type. Other than the obvious, "the user wanted their account deleted". Just curious how common this is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly the user picked a name which is searchable online, and later realized that his/her boss could track his internet usage tendencies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely the user decided to delete their account for some reason.

As for it being common or not - I'm not aware of any legitimate accounts being deleted (I'm sure it could be an option in extreme cases but I'm not aware of any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjjarm wrote:
Other than the obvious, "the user wanted their account deleted". Just curious how common this is?

Another obvious reason is spam. But those accounts were created without the idea of making any real contribution to the site.

I know BGG has locked some accounts for users who have violated "code of conduct." I assume that the user was given the option to have the account locked, or all of his contributions deleted. I think some accounts have been dumped into some generic "BGG user" or some such account too. All in all locking an account is a a rare occurrence. You have to be a real idiot to push BGG that far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lam
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Well, the guy had probably 100-150 board games on his list. We traded in person, so I was checking back to see if we might have had any matches and noticed that his profile was gone. So I can't see that it was an obvious spam account or what not. At any rate, thanks for the answers. I just haven't seen that before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people simply get offended, pick up their toys and head home. That's life. As to bosses snooping on your online activities : I hope they do, because if they have a problem with mine, I don't want to work for them - it's a filter that works both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Some people simply get offended, pick up their toys and head home. That's life. As to bosses snooping on your online activities : I hope they do, because if they have a problem with mine, I don't want to work for them - it's a filter that works both ways.

Speaking as a boss, I think the concern is more the useage at work. Of course, I am unique and actually pay my employees to be on BGG regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Speaking as a boss, I think the concern is more the useage at work. Of course, I am unique and actually pay my employees to be on BGG regularly.

Got any job openings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.