Home Mixer
United States
Brooksville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential Contact turns into Strong Point for the Germans.

Location draw turns up "Per Package Table Placement"

German Strong Point is (Squad under Trenches/Squad +HMG Team under Bunker)

Placement is "On adjacent cards"

.... so which cards do you place the German forces? The card where the US unit generated it and one next to it?

...One card up and one next to it?

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw for two placements. Adjacent means one random eligable adjacent card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words ... draw for the first placement (the Squad under Trenches) using the Mission's specific Unit Placement table. If you get a "Per Package" draw, just keep drawing until a valid unit placement locations gets drawn.

Then look at the adjacent terrain cards to where that unit got placed. Including diagonally adjacent. Count how many have a LOS to the US unit that triggered the contact. Let's say there are 3 that meet this criteria. Choose which card is 1, 2 and 3 then draw a random 3 and put the second unit on that. Both units will have PDFs placed and the US unit is in trouble (H VOF + crossfire marker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Home Mixer
United States
Brooksville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses!

On my fourth try at this game, but the rules have just about beaten me senseless and I'm getting ready to throw in the towel... again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
You draw for two placements. Adjacent means one random eligable adjacent card.

What confuses me with this text is whether the second unit is adjacent to the US unit or is it adjacent to the first unit placed.

DaveyJJ wrote:
In other words ... draw for the first placement (the Squad under Trenches) using the Mission's specific Unit Placement table. If you get a "Per Package" draw, just keep drawing until a valid unit placement locations gets drawn.

Then look at the adjacent terrain cards to where that unit got placed. Including diagonally adjacent. Count how many have a LOS to the US unit that triggered the contact. Let's say there are 3 that meet this criteria. Choose which card is 1, 2 and 3 then draw a random 3 and put the second unit on that. Both units will have PDFs placed and the US unit is in trouble (H VOF + crossfire marker).

I had a similar situation come up the other day and I was also lost as to how to go forward. I finally figured I'd randomly place the second unit just as you described...

who would have thought I was doing it right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:

What confuses me with this text is whether the second unit is adjacent to the US unit or is it adjacent to the first unit placed.

I draw for two independant placements which may be wrong (edit: It is correct), but it does not make much difference. There are not that many cards with LOS, usually, and as long as the placement is random eough, the exact position is not that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing that confused me was whether the "valid placement" could be a card that was already occupied by a German unit. I am assuming it can't. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Edition © GMT L.L.C. 2011 wrote:
Do not place a unit that is listed after a
“/” character on the same card as another unit in the same package;
continue to check for placement until you determine a different
card.

Second Edition © GMT L.L.C. 2011 wrote:
You can NEVER place an enemy pack-
age on a card that already contains enemy units (Exception: when
you receive a ‘+’ result, those units are placed together.). Continue
drawing cards until a valid location is found.
An enemy package may appear on a card containing US units if
called for by the Placement Tables.

Found it :-). Page 38.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacent in this case means adjacent to the first enemy unit. The two enemy units will be adjacent to each other. I see no way to interpret that wording any other way in this circumstance. It also make sense from a point of view of how you'd arrange your forces in the real world.

Didn't see your previous post. Hmm. That seems to clearly trump the "adjacent" wording, unless it has to be both valid and adjacent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses!

On my fourth try at this game, but the rules have just about beaten me senseless and I'm getting ready to throw in the towel... again....
I'm on my 10th game now (7 completed and 3-4 half-hearted failed attempts) and each time there has been some situation that stopped me in my tracks and caused much grief and consternation. I'm happy now to have most of the edge-cases and rulings memorized but there are still points each game I have to scratch my head. But my ratings keep creeping up as I am slowly and carefully removing what I call the "grime" from this masterpiece Ben has made. Keep at it. It may be as ground-breaking for me as Up Front was when I first bought that 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davey,

I'm just working through the rules a first time, and haven't purchased the game - about to spring for the P500. The main reason is even tho there are some things that seem frustrating, there's a core here that's amazing.

I've never tried to tackle a game like this, and I'm loving every minute of it, even tho it's at time frustrating. I've never found a game this intriguing before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Home Mixer
United States
Brooksville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a previous thread I think we solved this. The term ADJACENT, if applied to the American unit that is generating the enemy packages, instead of the first enemy package, clears this up.

So the 2 enemy packages could come onto the map NOT adjacent to EACH other, as long as they were both adjacent to the American unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls