Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: A new attempt at transferring resource icons to tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucus Keppel
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
So, like many of you, I wanted to have the tokens be identified by type with an icon. But, finding A4 label paper and printing and getting a 1/2" punch seemed like too much work.

Instead, I've decided to try the heat-transfer method. To that end, I fired up inkscape, and traced over the icons to make them scaleable, and then imported it all into Illustrator to make a sheet to print on a laser printer.

Long story short, this is the method of transfer:

1. Laser print the icons onto paper
2. Heat up a woodburning tool with the heat-transfer tip (or, an iron)
3. Tape (with masking/painter's tape) the tokens to their proper icons (taping across the back, not as a small roll on one side)
4. Flip over the whole sheet so that the tokens are on the table, and press the woodburning tool into the back of the paper, making gentle circles constantly to not burn the paper
5. Optionally, repeat on the other side of the tokens with a new laser-printed paper

Why laser print? The toner is fused into the paper using heat and light pressure - which is what is also used to de-fuse it and refuse it to the tokens.

I've put the icon sheet I used into the files section - [filepage=http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100037/agricola-resource-i...][/filepage]

Let me know how this method works for you! I'm considering applying a laquer or spray-acrylic to it also, but haven't done this yet. Anyone have advice as to what works well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this in the files section, but I had a problem ...

What is a "woodburner"/"woodburning tool"?

OK, an iron will work, you say - but who will teach me how to use it? (Joke!)

What about a soldering iron?

I plan to do this for 'food' tokens for Caverna using my spare yellow counters from Agricola (for which I now use loaves of bread). Cardboard food in Caverna when everything else is 'special' just seems 'wrong' somehow.

It seems an easy solution compared to some I have read which talk about using Xylene and other solvents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a picture of the final products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucus Keppel
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
So, my initial attempt at flowing this procedure showed a flaw - my wood burner is too hot! I've not attempted the process on painted wood before, so I'm trying to adjust. My next attempt will be with an iron, to better control the temp. Incidentally, a wood burner is a tool similar in shape and function to a soldering iron, but is meant, as the name suggests, for burning designs into wood. I've used this process on larger items before, but the small size of the tokens seems to be interfering.

Once I get the process perfected, I'll take pictures of the end result. Right now, there's nothing to see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls