Subject: Deck Building Help for Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rowson
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi all
I'm new to SW LCG, and hearing people say that their decks contain only a couple of Objectives that match their Affiliation and then MOST of their objectives are of another Affiliation.

I would have thought it should be the other way around.

Is that an intentional Deck Building strategy?
If so, what's the reasoning behind it? (I'm sure there is one!)

Thanks
Newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 10 objectives, you draw 4 and keep 3. If your deck is a 4/10 split the odds of drawing all 4 of the same faction is only 00.5%. This way 99.5% of the time you will have at least 1 resource of each faction. That way no cards in your deck can't be played, though you may be limited some turns when you have lots of small cards to play. You take the affiliation card of the 4 faction side so you always have one resource of that faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's a function of the gameplay, the requirement to generate at least 1 resource in a card's faction to be able to play it. Having the minor faction's affiliation card ensures you can always pay for cards in the minor faction if you only have objectives from your major faction in play.

Otherwise, if you have 2 objectives from your major and 1 from your minor, and you're using your major faction affiliation card, your opponent may choose to destroy your minor faction objective first. Then, if you don't draw another minor faction objective, you won't be able to pay for any cards from that faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
As the above posters already mentioned, having the alternative faction be in the majority than the one represented on your faction card helps with resource matching and improving the odds of being able to "pay" for that unit. Neutral units do not need a resource match.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from making a deck entirely out of one faction, if you desire. I have done this many times, which good results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rowson
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Thank you all very much.
It makes complete sense now.
Thanks for helping a newbie!

Thumb up