Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Jump through the gate or I'll smack you with this dead fish!

I've seen various custom gates for AH and EH, but here's a DIY way that's cheap and effective. The super-easy way is to just buy 25mm x 50mm slotted rectangular cavalry bases and stick the token in the slot. Decorate. You can buy them at your local hobby store, or online: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=70811

You can also use the stands in Mansions of Madness. You could also use similarly-colored miniatures to identify the color of the gate.

The water-saturated fog of London is perfect for the skin, don't you think?

Another way is to buy thin flat sheets of cork (about $5 per roll) at a craft store, paint them black with craft paint, then drybrush grey with craft paint. For the cork, glue together three black-painted pieces together, let dry, cut a slot for the gate token, then drybrush grey. Decorate. The gate holders can also be used to hold monster tokens. If you're new to painting miniatures, cork is an inexpensive and effective way to base your miniatures that don't have attached (ie. integrated) bases.

If you're using miniatures to bling the monster tokens, I think they compliment well the gates standing up! For a painting tutorial and more information on the RAFM Cthulu miniatures used in these pics, see this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1115533/miniature-painting-t... RAFM is currently funding a KickStarter for Cthulu miniatures, suitable for Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
Very cool looking but I would have thought quite inconvenient in practice. You'd need all the players sitting on the same side of the board to read the omen symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice, we usually divide up the tasks, such as one person reading out a card, and others moving the bits on the board. For EH, the omen track is on the upper part of the board, so the gate holders could face towards the person moving the doom track, or someone else could just count them. With AH, you have a similar problem with gate holders but that sure hasn't stopped the bling!

I *think* you can replace entirely the gates with colored tokens matching the omens (red, green, blue). With the RAFM Cthulhu Miniatures KS, you could sticky-tack nine of the cultists / NPCs onto black cork bases drybrushed in the three colors, to represent cultist activity opening gates.

EDIT: Or you could just paint up some Cthulu miniatures green, blue, and red, use them as markers, and put them on the other side of the gate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...or buy two copies of the game and glue the gates back to back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could scan the symbol side and print two copies off, paste together over some card ... bosch job!

You need to be able to pick the gates without knowing what they are, so the new pile would be used for displaying the gate on the map.

Nice idea with the slot bases!

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls