Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played this solo and with two. And I went to teach a group a 5 player game and I got stumped. I told them I'd have to re-read some more so we played something else.

What I was questioning in my mind was that with 5, if we deal 4 cards each, then there is 1 card left. So after every round we're going to reconstruct the deck.

I guess that's right but it just seemed so strange after playing with 2. Is that right, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
So I've played this solo and with two. And I went to teach a group a 5 player game and I got stumped. I told them I'd have to re-read some more so we played something else.

What I was questioning in my mind was that with 5, if we deal 4 cards each, then there is 1 card left. So after every round we're going to reconstruct the deck.

I guess that's right but it just seemed so strange after playing with 2. Is that right, or am I missing something?

The deck gets larger as you urbanize, so eventually you can deal from the deck for more than one round. It does cycle faster, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
The deck gets larger as you urbanize, so eventually you can deal from the deck for more than one round. It does cycle faster, though.

Isn't urbanize when you build up (which adds +1 card but also removes one card at the same time) and industrialize is when you build out (which just adds one card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
The first turn you are left with one card indeed, then you add the buildings that were built that turn, so there are a few more cards and the deck probably doesn't run out (just, unless someone turns in their new cards toke which can be a tactic to get newer buildings into the deck)
and within a few rounds the deck thickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To reduce the initial deck churn, try A Natural Topology Variant for 2, 3, and 5 Players. The change for 5 players is just the addition of 4 additional tiles during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
sroney wrote:

Isn't urbanize when you build up (which adds +1 card but also removes one card at the same time) and industrialize is when you build out (which just adds one card)?

I don't have the rules in front of me (at work), but I'm pretty sure the term "urbanize" refers to placing a new tile for the city. I think they use "building up" or something like that to refer placing a tile on top of another tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The actions are Exploiting, Urbanizing (expanding) and Constructing a floor (building up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls