Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"The player with the highest value of the remaining red, black, and yellow cubes behind their screen earns 3 VP."

I have 1 Red cube, 1 Black cube, and 1 Yellow cube. I determine their "value" to compare to the cubes held by other players.

Are these worth...

"Value 3" (1 each, 1 + 1 + 1 = 3) ?

or

"Value 6" (+3 Red +2 Black +1 Yellow = 6, using their Vote Value) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. I believe the person who has the most total points (in cubes valued 1,2, and 3) receives 3 vp, regardless of the number of total cubes or total value. Edit: sorry, i misunderstood your question. I believe your second option is correct. You add the total value of cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use their vote values, so they would be worth 6 points. Page 9 of the rules states:

"The player with the highest value of remaining cubes behind his screen receives 3 VP."

Value of cubes, not total number.

This scoring occurs after players have done the final election to become a banker, monk, Camerlengo, and Pope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
There is no knowledge that is not power
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
This scoring occurs after players have done the final election to become a banker, monk, Camerlengo, and Pope.

Absolutely right! So when you reach this point, remember to discard the cubes for the final election and count the value in votes of the rest you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for responding, Havox! But there is more here...

I originally quoted the actual complete text from the rules, instead of your edited version, so I know full well what the rules state. Highlighting "highest value" doesn't help in this case - I could already obviously see that! It is in fact quoted in my title to this thread! It's like defining "blue" by saying it's blue.

I do think you are right, though.

Havox wrote:
"The player with the highest value of remaining cubes behind his screen receives 3 VP."

The player screen makes clear that for red/black/yellow the votes value is 3/2/1. And the rules and screen make it clear that 'volgare points' are different from 'election points'. Each cube type is defined in the rules as having a value for 'status' at game end ("status"? what is that? oh yeah, it is specifically for The Election when each player has the chance to upgrade to a higher social status, hmmm, okay, and The Election and Volgare are two different things altogether and The Election, for Status, has been completed already). The player screen, in the case for comparing cubes to see who has the most, shows a *gray* cube, implying that all cubes are equal and that each cube counts as 1.
Is this 4 different terms to describe the same or similar thing? 5 different terms? With a few other possibly related concepts thrown in? Plus a confusing picture? There is more I can say for or against either view. And none of this even addresses the fact that the artist didn't draw water between the islands and the mainland.

The game looks like fun. I am not surprised that I found this over Summer 2013 in the bargain bin for $7.50. And they didn't pay me anything to figure all of this out, sheesh.

Thanks again, Havox, you are awesome. We will totally use the Status Vote Value of the cubes for determining who gets the 3VP.

Go Siena!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Thanks for responding, Havox! But there is more here...

I originally quoted the actual complete text from the rules, instead of your edited version, so I know full well what the rules state. Highlighting "highest value" doesn't help in this case - I could already obviously see that! It is in fact quoted in my title to this thread! It's like defining "blue" by saying it's blue.

I do think you are right, though.

Havox wrote:

The player screen makes clear that for red/black/yellow the votes value is 3/2/1. And the rules and screen make it clear that 'volgare points' are different from 'election points'. Each cube type is defined in the rules as having a value for 'status' at game end ("status"? what is that? oh yeah, it is specifically for The Election when each player has the chance to upgrade to a higher social status, hmmm, okay, and The Election and Volgare are two different things altogether and The Election, for Status, has been completed already). The player screen, in the case for comparing cubes to see who has the most, shows a *gray* cube, implying that all cubes are equal and that each cube counts as 1.
Is this 4 different terms to describe the same or similar thing? 5 different terms? With a few other possibly related concepts thrown in? Plus a confusing picture? There is more I can say for or against either view. And none of this even addresses the fact that the artist didn't draw water between the islands and the mainland.

The game looks like fun. I am not surprised that I found this over Summer 2013 in the bargain bin for $7.50. And they didn't pay me anything to figure all of this out, sheesh.

Thanks again, Havox, you are awesome. We will totally use the Status Vote Value of the cubes for determining who gets the 3VP.

Go Siena!

Checking out other threads, there is a misprint on the screens so I would just ignore them. But to clarify the cube question further....

After you spend cubes to increase your status (become Pope, banker, etc.), those cubes are discarded. You total the value of cubes you have remaining after the election. Value does not equal number. Let's suppose I have 10 one dollar bills and you have four five dollar bills. I have you beat in total number because I have 10 bills and you only have 4. But you win because the value of your bills is $20 while mine is only $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.