Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if most casual players have built a few decks and just play with them or do you frequently change decks?

I don't really enjoy the theorycraft of dreaming up new decks and testing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say I'm a casual player. My wife likes the theme but is not interested in deck building at all. I built her a Leadership/Tactics deck that is basically 'hack 'n' slash', and I have a Spirit/Lore deck that controls all the nuances of the scenario. (I'm the healer, threat reducer, etc.)

For the most part, our original decks we built from the core set have done very well against all the core scenarios, the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, Khazad-dum, the most of the Darrowdelf cycle. We have two more of those to do before moving onto Heirs of Numenor.

We look at the new cards, and if there is something we like or that fills a gap in our deck we add it. For the most part we haven't added much (that I can recall, anyway!).

I like the idea of making different decks, but I never seem to have the time to set down and make them. What we've got now works. We haven't had to make custom decks to beat new adventure packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with a single deck as often as I can until it just doesn't work anymore or I get a bunch of new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brandt
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo - one hand

I find the game requires you to build decks to challenge certain scenarios (Rhosgobel anyone?).

I've got a few decks that I rotate through the scenarios. Sometimes a scenario shows up that demands a special build (again Rhosgobel). Other times I can take an existing deck and adjust it to deal with a certain scenario.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of deck construction which is what I enjoy about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tanco
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmb
My favorite decks are my 2 Dwarf decks that I bring out whenever I can. However, when I find a particularly challenging scenario that me and my regular play group can't seem to beat then I try to build something new to better interact with the requirements of the scenario. Once I find that magical build then I will play that scenario and all related scenarios till I'm sick to my stomach hehe.

Recently I came up with the perfect blend to take down Passage Through Mirkwood expert mode and I'm really enjoying those 2 decks at the mean time. Finding that perfect build is like having a new toy to play with. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I look at the scenario and build the decks on the fly. We also usually stay in one sphere, though occasionally we will build a deck with heroes from 2 spheres. We are only though the Mirkwood cycle up to Conflict at Carrock, so those are our card choices. And usually I build a combat heavy deck while she builds a heal/questing deck. Between the two of us, we usually get through a scenario by the 2nd or 3rd try. Sometimes first time out.

But it does take time to build on the fly for each scenario. It might be good to have a already built deck to save some time. I never had much interest in building decks, until LOTR LCG. But I do like analyzing a scenario, determine my strategy, them build a deck around that strategy.

We love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
England
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I'm curious if most casual players have built a few decks and just play with them or do you frequently change decks?

I don't really enjoy the theorycraft of dreaming up new decks and testing them.

With cards form the first cycle you can make a pair of decks that can deal with every scenario in the first cycle & all of the Dwarrowdelf cycle except Shadow & Flame (probably). You will cope with the saga expansions too I expect. Many of the Against the Shadow ones will be a bit too hard.

Anyway I think you can play well over 20 scenarios with >50% success rate with pretty general decks. It a lot harder to do this with a solo deck as there are far fewer card slots & it is harder to get all of the spheres in to give a good range of abilities.

I am a bit more than a casual player but I hate redoing decks & I try to make general ones though going into scenarios blind you can come a cropper & the very skew scenarios are out of reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls