Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do people go to play test games?
There must be groups of people that love to test new games.
Why would they do it?
To be a part of the process?
If someone play tested a game and gave helpful advice, I would send them the game if it was made. Or give a discount or coupon.
Is that common practice?
I would love to hear thoughts on play testing.
Who would know the best type of file for printing?
I know how to make, I just heard a lot of comments about making it easier to cut, even if the cards were directly next to each other and some colors appeared on other cards edges.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've play tested many games for people and I've never asked nor expected anything in return. To be honest, I do it so I can increase my game collection! From my experiences, if I playtest a game and give honest quality feedback, the creator will send me updated files until the point where I have the finalized versions. At that point, I spend a bit more time to create a nice version and add it to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play testing events are scheduled several times a year in Milwaukee, WI. I believe James Mathe of Minion Games coordinates many of the events through his game stores, Games Universe, at a local board game convention, or at an area hotel conference room. We have also held play testing days through our Meetup.com group, MilCog. One event in particular was designed to launch the leading prototype from each region to a Rio Grande contest to release a new game.

I enjoy play testing games with the game designer present for the thrill of playing something that's not yet fully refined. I have played some games that were okay and I've played some games that were so awesome that I'd pick it up the moment it's released. I especially love the detail and effort that some designers put into their components.

A local designer, Kane, has a Mayfair game coming out, Madtown, and a future release from Rio Grande from the aforementioned contest.

To be fair, I do not anticipate that I would participate in a play test session without the game designer present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have attended game designer get togethers and I suppose this is probably the best possible environment for playtesting. Everyone understands at least a little about game design. Everyone has a common interest in having their own prototypes played and so they're all to happy in the interest of fairness to play yours. If you cannot find such a group nearby, then it would be to your interest to look for like-minded individuals and form some sort of regular get together. A lot of your issues would then go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three groups of friends who playtest my games. It took a long time to establish these groups. I mostly asked around at church and found people who were into board games. Because I have three groups and they are able to play on average once every three months, I get to playtest a game around once a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtest with my friends and family firstly - face to face. When the game come a stage that work smoothy, playable well, then I'd sent pnp files to blind-playtesters. Because I don't want they play a new idea in the early stage, at least game must have some fun before I give it to blind-playtesters.

I often sent pnp files to geek that I can trust here on BGG.
Quote:
Why would they do it?
They like to help others. Playtesters always be happy to see a game in its process, how it improve, become better... If they are awarded, it's ok. If not, it's ok too. They work because their enthusiasm, love.

Quote:
If someone play tested a game and gave helpful advice, I would send them the game if it was made. Or give a discount or coupon.
I'd sent he the game free when it published if he is very helpful and enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls