14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Hardest Non-Epic Monster and Hardest Mythos Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
What do you guys think? I know this can vary based on the situation, researchers, point in the game it happens, etc, just wondering what monster or mythos card has made you cringe the most when you see it on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dark Young is definitely the toughest to defeat and has a pretty nasty Reckoning effect to boot.

All For Nothing is almost certainly the most annoying non-Rumor Mythos card. I always fear this card when I don't have enough Clues to avoid it.

As for the Rumor Mythos cards, which really deserve their own entry, Spreading Sickness can kill you off pretty fast, but I find Secrets of the Past one of the trickiest ones to actually solve, given how it keeps jumping somewhere else when you get nearby it. I don't often fear it, though, as it takes six yellow Mythos cards before it ends the game, so it can usually be ignored and you know where it will move to on its penultimate reckoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Young and Star Spawn are both very annoying.

The most problematic Mythos card is probably Tied to a Dark Purpose, that automatically pops all conditions on you. Other than that, we've had some nasty Bermuda Triangle hits and then Tide of Despair is pretty brutal.

All For Naught isn't too bad - usually it reads "players lose *Investigators/2* clues".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All for Nothing is a joke once you know it exists. Most bad mythos card is the one that summons a rumor out of the box.

Not talking about being hard, but most annoying monster is wraith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the Zombies, they always seem to turn into their Epic counterpart before I can get to them.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Dark Young, Star Spawn, and Shoggoth are the three I dislike the most. I'd rather waste a few turns camping Tokyo rather than burn sanity and resources on them.

Mythos Card: I think it's called Heat Wave. That one combined with the wrong Condition can arbitrarily eliminate characters with full Heath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Dark Young, Star Spawn, and Shoggoth are the three I dislike the most. I'd rather waste a few turns camping Tokyo rather than burn sanity and resources on them.

Mythos Card: I think it's called Heat Wave. That one combined with the wrong Condition can arbitrarily eliminate characters with full Heath.

The Shoggoth can be very annoying if you're trying to get rid of it and reckonings keep on regenerating it. A good tactic is for multiple investigators to gang up on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Monster= Star Spawn

Mythos= "All for nothing". This card had ruined 3 games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D31277 wrote:
Monster= Star Spawn

Mythos= "All for nothing". This card had ruined 3 games so far.
Well, if it ruined more than 1 game for you - it's kinda your fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Well, if it ruined more than 1 game for you - it's kinda your fault.

Lolz. Yeah. I find it funny how many people don't get that yet. Now that card is kind of a relief. I'll happily throw a couple spare Clue tokens at it and be glad it its not making me throw away cards, pull a rumor out, or get knifed in the back by my secretary. In fact, there's significant minority of Mythos cars, that, once you know exist and have insured your self against, are negligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Yeah funny haha..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the Gug! Not being able to explore is awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I hate the Zombies, they always seem to turn into their Epic counterpart before I can get to them.

-shnar

Same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.