Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Schnee
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After trying to learn the rules with a solo game of humans vs. orcs, I tried out elves vs. dwarves tonight. I thought of myself as the elf side, with die rolls where necessary to decide what resources the filthy dwarven enemy was spending on ore. Since this was run as a 2-player game, I used the "Lost Kingdoms" rule of having a middle territory with neutral enemies.

Final result: 13-7 Elves. Early on, I took advantage of a resource disparity to attack a forest in the lost kingdom, such that the dwarves couldn't spend as much as me to defend it. I now had a bonus VP territory and more mana. I had randomly drawn the print-and-play card with two adjacent forests as the lost kingdom, so I was then able to take over the other forest and have a mana-generating machine. One attack on the dwarves themselves and I had a population advantage too, hence an advantage in sheer rate of resource production. So, things were pretty one-sided after that, with the dwarves being unable to catch up or fight back. Controlling forests + playing as elves looks pretty tough to beat. Elves triggered the end by reaching max magic, of course, but the dwarves did get to level 2 of their tower-building to the elves' 0.

Much of the game's charm is in having interesting decisions to make. Do I spend enough resources to guarantee victory against an enemy with less to spend, or try to talk them into spending less so I can secretly win at low cost? What action can I pick such that the enemy misses a chance to do something they want to do?

Verdict: Fun, but of course I want to try this out with some other live players. Might get a chance tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is really hard to play solo as it totally take out the mind game, which IMO is vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There are two factions that I will not use in 2 player games.

1) Elves: They are too strong with their Researched Mana abilities. The only faction that has a chance IMHO against them in a 2 player is the Dwarves if they concentrate on getting ore and building the tower ASAP.

2) Halflings: Their alliance power is not usable and thus they really cannot win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
litebrite wrote:
There are two factions that I will not use in 2 player games.

1) Elves: They are too strong with their Researched Mana abilities. The only faction that has a chance IMHO against them in a 2 player is the Dwarves if they concentrate on getting ore and building the tower ASAP.

2) Halflings: Their alliance power is not usable and thus they really cannot win.

I have beaten the Elves in a 2p using the Goblins. The maps were quite unfavourable for them (only 4 forests total).
I grabbed 2 of the forests asap and then managed to conquer the third from the Elves. Then I won by a big margin (15-10) as the elf was busy trying to reconquer one Forest.
The Elf player did some mistakes, though.

Halfling are for 3+p games only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Schnee
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: missing out on the "mind game" aspect, I agree, but I did get a glimpse of it by thinking about the decisions I'd need to make against proper opponents.

Haven't tried out any but the first four factions yet either. It should be interesting to see some of the new ones like the centaurs and merfolk once those are previewed. The Undead might also be bad in a 2-player game. Hmm... The size of the elves' top-tier-magic VP advantage rises with the number of players, but the VP advantage for races like the dwarves apparently doesn't.

It looks like others are questioning the elves' powers and suggesting doing something like counting mana as only 1 for war by default. Maybe that's too much of a change though?

I'm curious about exactly which territories count as adjacent to water for merfolk and human purposes, since some of the art on Kickstarter makes it look like there are little rivers winding through territories in ways that are harder to interpret than the current P&P colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls