Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elizabeth Lamar
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So last night at work I played a solo game of Ascension. I saw in the rules that there was a solo variant. Has anyone played this? I feel like it would be impossible to win! The cultist gets defeats or acquires 2 cards every round. This seems very unrealistic because they could (and it seems like they did) defeat a lot of higher point cards from the beginning which gives them an unfair advantage. In the beginning of a 2+ player game the players at most will have 5 money in their hand. The cultist in their first turn can potentially defeat a card costing 7 and a card costing 6 if that is how the cards laid out.

Has anyone tried the solo variant and was successful? I'm hesitant to try it again because of the massacre. Plus I'm know there were a few times that I forgot to give the cultist their cards and I still got slaughtered.
Usually in a 2-4 player game I do very well. I played 3 player at a game night this last week and won (94 to 74 and 70).

I don't know if anyone has come up with a difficult but not impossible variant for solo play?

I need something to keep me busy at work lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the solo variant
you have to concentrate though on what cards you are choosing from the center in order not to give them to the AI

so sometimes you are buying cards merely for their point value rather than for their usefulness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're also wanting to consider not buying things if it will bump them over spaces that the 'cultists' get

However, sometimes starts with high value cards will make it quite impossible to win.

Maybe add a variant where you can pay x to rearrange the center

I have enjoyed playing it as the rules stated though. It's difficult, but not stressing, and victory/loss can come quite surprisingly because of the final point tally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah played solo a bit - it's challenging but not impossible by any means and I've won many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost the first 3-4 solo games, and only won by luck, but once you realize what the winning strategy is (I won't spoil it for you), you start to win more.

Now the solo is a bit too easy for me, but I have introduced the game to our group, and I have to learn the game again, because using the solo strategy does not always work when you play with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
*rawr*
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the solo "KI" is too easy actually, since you know the parameters and can work them to your advantage. It's a lot easier to plan that way, since you don't have the unknown factor of a real opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls