Subject: Communion/Litanies and Griffin Army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
I got into this game last year and it has turned me into competitive collector, trying to find and purchase as much as I can find that's still floating around out there. Now that I have a decent collection of each army, I am starting to hunker down and play it regularly. However, I am coming up with some unique rules questions that I have not seen answered in the few forums I am aware of that are still active.

One question I have left is whether there is a single Incarnate who can call a level 3 communion in the Griffin army? I don't see any possibility, based on the army building rules. There is no incarnate that has 3 points worth of attributes to purchase artifacts, rituals, or communions. It obviously would cost all 3 attribute points to buy a level 3 communion. It would be the same for the level 3 rituals too, if weren't for a special artifact that Melkion can buy to acquire one of the two level 3 rituals. Did I miss something here?

Another question I have is Abel's artifact, Chastisement, that he can call the Divine Healing miracle. However, it doesn't say that it costs any faith points. For a Cleric to call the same miracle, it costs 5 faith points. Is it indeed free for Abel? If so, why does the artifact give Abel Fervor (4), when he wouldn't even need faith points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same, started last year and have been collecting since. Good questions, I'd be interested to know the answers!

Hope you've found my new unit cards at www.orderofgamers.com/confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
I did, and I love them. Thanks. I thanked you there too (screen name: Mortikar).

This game is so awesome in that I don't have to paint anything (have too much to paint as is), the history and background is incredible. I am not sure how good the game really is, because I haven't played it enough and certainly not against anyone who is experienced. Being a dead game, though, I am sure it can be refined by home-ruling or the player community if things are totally out of whack. They have done that largely with Epic Armageddon and it worked pretty well. Also, I have played AT-43 and that was done pretty well.

I would really love to put some tutorials on Youtube, because there really is not much support out there for new players. However, I want to make sure I have my facts in order first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Well, I've only played about 4 or 5 games so far but they've been great fun. I know there are unfinished rules and balance issues but that kind of thing doesn't bother me much as long as the game as fun. I think it compares well with AT-43, both of which have just the level of complexity I like.

Tutorials are a great idea, though there's probably a very, very small audience left of people who still play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunny_J wrote:

One question I have left is whether there is a single Incarnate who can call a level 3 communion in the Griffin army? I don't see any possibility, based on the army building rules. There is no incarnate that has 3 points worth of attributes to purchase artifacts, rituals, or communions. It obviously would cost all 3 attribute points to buy a level 3 communion. It would be the same for the level 3 rituals too, if weren't for a special artifact that Melkion can buy to acquire one of the two level 3 rituals. Did I miss something here?
There aren't any faithful incarnates with a base of 3 points, correct. However, the Temple of the South advantage gives incarnates +2 points, so you could use that to get up to (or beyond) the 3 points needed.
Gunny_J wrote:

Another question I have is Abel's artifact, Chastisement, that he can call the Divine Healing miracle. However, it doesn't say that it costs any faith points. For a Cleric to call the same miracle, it costs 5 faith points. Is it indeed free for Abel? If so, why does the artifact give Abel Fervor (4), when he wouldn't even need faith points?
This is a typical example of some poor editing common throughout the books. It says it is clearly a miracle, so it should have a faith point cost. As it is identical to the Cleric's (which states that is costs 5), we have always played that it also costs 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:

Tutorials are a great idea, though there's probably a very, very small audience left of people who still play the game.

.... says the guy who spent a ton of hours making (totally awesome) cards and rules summaries....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
UniversalHead wrote:

Sadly, you are probably right. Yet, I still have hope that there are still folks out there - like you and I - that are new and wanting to play this game badly. Also, as long as miniatures are still left out there to buy, there is hope for newcomers as well. I would love to get some of my local friends into this! I will do a demo day at my FLGS, once I get more proficient with the gameplay and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
Quote:
There aren't any faithful incarnates with a base of 3 points, correct. However, the Temple of the South advantage gives incarnates +2 points, so you could use that to get up to (or beyond) the 3 points needed.

Thank you. (sigh) I am so glad people are still monitoring this board. What a quick response to a seemingly-lifeless community. Although, I will say that the more activity we can show here on this board, the livelier the game will be indeed!

Quote:
This is a typical example of some poor editing common throughout the books. It says it is clearly a miracle, so it should have a faith point cost. As it is identical to the Cleric's (which states that is costs 5), we have always played that it also costs 5.
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I figured it HAD to be that way, even though I have a copy of the errata and there is no correction to that. So, now Abel's unit gets and abundance of Fervor for what? Totally makes sense now, especially since you pointed out to me the Temple of the South rule! That's the one area I failed to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthTurambar wrote:
.... says the guy who spent a ton of hours making (totally awesome) cards and rules summaries....

You've definitely got a a point there Cory!

(Cory, by the way, is the man. There is no way I could have done them without him, and he is ever-patient with my endless questions about the rules and the unit cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
Any chance some of you would like to visit sunny San Diego and play this game for an entire weekend? LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's regularly been below zero here in Iowa, so sunny San Diego sounds like heaven... playing some CAoR for a whole weekend whilst in said location... even better! Too bad life gets in the way....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me a ticket I'd be happy too! I'll drop in on my Dad, he lives a couple of hours north in San Clemente.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
With all the money I spent collecting armies, I probably could have bought you both plane tickets...lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Sobolev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It’s my story as well…
Recently joined the “dead game” (can’t say it’s actually dead as we are exist ) community and started to collect what is possible to get.
Dude it’s hard to collect in Russia (and I’m from Russia).
I mean there is no way to buy it locally so I have to buy everything overseas and the price goes up orbitly (shipping and everything).
But I really like this game and playing it at least once a week (still haven’t played it too much to remember all the rules)… And questions pops out from nowhere on regular basis (you know how it is).
Speaking of Gaming Weekend – it’s a nice idea… I will be in San Francisco in March but should be very busy so probably will not be able to go to San Diego
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunny_J wrote:
I would really love to put some tutorials on Youtube, because there really is not much support out there for new players. However, I want to make sure I have my facts in order first.

Any progress on the tutorials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Park Previs
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
in a few weeks, i will try to post a decent tutorial for the game. my group has recently gone to some trouble to re-learn the rules and piece together the existing armies. after a few more trial runs, we should be able to put together a tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I managed to pick up 4 of the 5 available factions but trying to work out the rules was... shall we say... a bit challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just updated my unit cards for the Griffin and Ram armies, by the way.

Didn't my summary make the rules clear CK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
I've just updated my unit cards for the Griffin and Ram armies, by the way.

Didn't my summary make the rules clear CK?

Your summaries almost always save my neck when I'm playing a game, UH. But there's just something about CtAoR's rules that make it hard for me to grasp... a lots of moving parts? Litanies, Communions, Spells etc.

Like I said over at your EoG... even the size of the battlefield wasn't specified in the rule book! Most other games give you at least a suggestion... but not this one.

Still keen to play it though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Park Previs
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
your rules summaries are fantastic. there are always some things that are debatable that the summaries cannot possible encompass. special abilities, for example. we had a lengthy discussion about "master strike" in our last game. the wording in the army books can be interpreted in different ways. we are slowly working through the confusing parts, and creating our own rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always open to suggestions for improvement - eg CK recently suggested adding which units an incarnate can join to their cards, and in the new cards I'm standardising wording for rituals, spells, communions etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jurena
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it is worth.....I would LOVE to see some video tutorials for this game.

I have a bunch of these miniatures. I have used some for proxies for Heroscape - but i never actually played Confrontation: The Age of Ragnarok.

Universal Head's redone cards are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC....but the rules for this game are somewhat arcane in nature and are a bit hard to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep it in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
briscoe999 wrote:
For whatever it is worth.....I would LOVE to see some video tutorials for this game.

I have a bunch of these miniatures. I have used some for proxies for Heroscape - but i never actually played Confrontation: The Age of Ragnarok.

Universal Head's redone cards are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC....but the rules for this game are somewhat arcane in nature and are a bit hard to grasp.

Agreed!

Having said that, I've read through the rules twice (mixture of UH's summaries + the actual rules) and I THINK I've got a handle on it. Now all that's left is to actually PLAY the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've filmed one battle report, it seemed to go pretty smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |