Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaching out for a recommendation!

Some back ground: My significant other is my main gaming partner. I really enjoy conflict/battle type games like Battlelore, Krosmaster Arena, Warmachine, Warhammer 40k, etc. The problem is they are all typically 2 player (which is usually fine since I play more of my games with her). All of my multiplayer games (with the exception of card games) tend to be more Euro/resource gathering type games (Catan, Caverna, Stone Age, Puerto Rico, etc). I tend to like fantasy themed the most, but also enjoy WWII and sci-fi.

I am interested in picking up a battle/war game (think similar to Battlelore) that will work well in multiplayer (2+ players). Bonus points if it also works well with 2, but mainly I am interested in getting a game that can be played with more than 2. I know some of the above (such as Battlelore) can technically be played with more than 2, but they weren't designed with 3-4 player modes as the main focus (plus I don't really want to buy the epic Battlelore map and have "more" Battlelore, I want something new =D!).

I was looking at Runewars, that looks intriguing. I like that it has empire/army building in it, with multiple races and unit types, and is playable for 2-4 players. I was also going to research the Game of Thrones board game, being a big fan of the card game. Does anyone have any recommendations for these 2 games, or any others that would fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks =D!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you Given Nexus Ops a look? It plays best with 3-4 players and has a nice variety of unit types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops, Neuroshima Hex! 3.0, one of the flavors of Axis & Allies and Ikusa are all solid and somewhat varied direct conflict type games for 2+ players. All playable with varying player counts as low as 2 and going up from there.

EDIT: I'm afraid I don't have any experience with Runewars or the Game of Thrones Boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kemet may be right up your street as it has elements of Euro but is a fantasy battle game encouraging conflict by VPs.

Check out the Drivethru review.

It plays great with 2 and goes up to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Nexus Ops

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 may not be quite what you're after but it's an excellent game and well worth a look.

If you have no thematic objections have a look at Chaos in the Old World for 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps gives consideration to BattleCON: War of Indines or BattleCON: Devastation of Indines? Mainly a two player game, but can also be played with 4 players. Very tactical and great theme, and plays quickly.

One of my personal favorites is Middle-Earth Quest. You have to like LotR as a theme and asymmetrical games (one player plays a completely different "game" as Sauron), but it has a great combat system where you blindly play combat cards at the same time, and the battles can get pretty tense. Couple this with hidden objectives for both sides and a huge map and you end up with a very engaging game.

Game of Thrones, from what I've heard, is a great game for fans of the series, but can get very political and nasty in the wrong group. It's also a touch on the long side. As an alternative, you may want to consider Rex: Final Days of an Empire, as it has that negotiation element along with combat and map control (though it doesn't play with 2 players unless you use a house-ruled variant). It's actually near the top of my wish-list right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Game of Thrones board game, but you really do need the max number of players for it (5 for 1st edition, 6 for 2nd edition, or 1st + expansion). I would stick with Cyclades/Kemet, though I haven't played Runewars. I also enjoy Fortress America, though that's mainly personal preference, and I don't think most people would like it as much as the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria
Sword of Rome
Conquest of Paradise
Andean Abyss

These are all a bit more on the wargame side of things, maria and c.o.p. being the lighter ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanky321 wrote:

+1000 thumbsups
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I have not heard of a lot of these. Kemet looks especially interesting, and I liked Cyclades okay the few times I played it, but wished it had more focus on combat.

Good to know about the Game of Thrones balancing issues, it will not be played with 6 players most of the time.

No one has commented on Runewars yet, any one have any thoughts on that one? I wonder if the lack of comments is somewhat telling =D...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada or 1775: Rebellion

Thumb up
 tip