Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, we're serious about wargames in MPLS/STP. Pictured here, a catholic army commander.

Ok, we're late to the party...very late (6 modules to this series and on v6.0 of the rules (this is good)...but, better late than never.

We, the First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society , got the bug REAL bad. We just started playing Saints in Armor and the other games in the Musket and Pike series http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/124/musket-pike... And, we love it. Hats off to the designer - a great, innovative, fun wargame. This is not some boring tactical i go you go who cares design. Musket & Pike is HIGHLY interactive and reflects battlefield chaos (you sort of, but not really, have control of your troops) VERY well.

A couple of us picked up a few games in the series this last fall/X-mas when GMT significantly discounted the games. The Alberta Clipper then came up with a hell of an idea: Boot camp!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1107130/musket-pike-boot...

So, he started teaching a few of us in the club the game and now we are TOTALLY hooked (I haven't even read the rulebook...took about a 15 min overview...pushing counters for an hour...and I get it: that's want a teacher with passion for the subject will do for you). Most importantly, we have a critical mass of gamers at the club that all are learning at the same time. And, the Alberta Clipper also talked up the game at our EiA group http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14743212#14743212

So, like all wargames that catch fire, we've got a cheerleader leading the charge in our locale. Hats off to cheerleaders and the designer of this innovative - highly innovative game (the orders are a stroke of brilliant design).

About the best recommendation I can give is that I don't like the scale (tactical), there's no real political rules (or subsystems) and am not really a big fan of the period (nothing against, just love other periods much more). About an hour into my first play of Musket and Pike, I immediately decided I am going to play a BUNCH of M&P and get the whole damm series (don't tell my beautiful wife!).

Get a game in the series, and give it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Very cool! (And I don't mean just the hat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
love the Mo Hexes Mo Problems shirt... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got home last night after getting knocked around by the mitre-hatted Catholics to find another paper time machine on the porch. Off to France we go!

Agree with David, this is a fabulous system. I love the feeling of losing control of your army, the way the initiative shifts back and forth with the orders, the many, many layers of ebb and flow. Gnarly, but a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb

Good to see a great system feeling the love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other shots of that night:

Close up of the pimpin' shirt:

Jason explaining the game to a few employees:

These guys have been hitting it hard for the past 3 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, wish I could be there. Technically in the guild, but joined back when I traveled to St Paul for work every few months. Now I stay up north. Haven't even been to The Source since they moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you guys meet? I've got three M&P games I've been itching to get on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Friday. Most show at 7P, although there always seem to be a few playing something in the afternoon also. Post something in the 1st MN guild here on BGG regarding getting an opponent or, just stop by - learning M&P seems to be a regular club event at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So when you play Rocroi, say, who wears the hat?

Or do you have a pre-game fight over it (which would be rather more to the point. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We got to get a worthy protestant hat now. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
We got to get a worthy protestant hat now. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
I got home last night after getting knocked around by the mitre-hatted Catholics to find another paper time machine on the porch. Off to France we go!

Agree with David, this is a fabulous system. I love the feeling of losing control of your army, the way the initiative shifts back and forth with the orders, the many, many layers of ebb and flow. Gnarly, but a blast.

Ben named this volume after the chapter on Rocroi in Russell Weigley's Age of Battles -- a wonderful book for those into this sort if topic, looking at the role of battles across the black powder era.

I too love Ben's system: my favorites are Nördlingen (1634) and Wittstock from Sweden Fights On.

I once tried to graft Ben's orders system onto Flying Colors, but with only partially satisfactory results.

Signed, Envious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redman
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
I love M&P too, and glad to see it get some love!

Hafta get Ben on Guns Dice and Butter now.
Jason - who posted the Under Lily Banners pics above - pointed me in the direction of this I've Been Diced episode: Episode 34, Ben Hull - that I've yet to listen to. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Great serie, I spent almost three months in a row playing just that last year. The system is very very subtle though. It is definitely not easy to wrap your head around some of the rules, all the interactions due to reaction movement or reaction fire and cavalry, in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
The system is very very subtle though. It is definitely not easy to wrap your head around some of the rules, all the interactions due to reaction movement or reaction fire and cavalry, in particular.

I agree, there’s a lot here. For sure with cav, and particularly with cav vs. cav. Being able to intercept within four hexes and fire at any time means you can’t autopilot those interactions. Lots of reaction implications.

No way M&P is a play-twice-and-you-have-it kind of system. But there’s also an inherent logic where even as dense as it is, nearly nothing feels like rules for the sake of rules. And even in the 3-4 weeks I’ve spent with it, anything that initially did feel that way had everything to do with my lack of knowledge about the period and not the system. But the more I read and research, the more things lock into place. Funny how that works. (Tremendous designer/online support, too. Makes such a difference.)

It takes dedication, but any good wargame does. And you can really get lost in the detail and minutia, which is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to experience the scope of a full-mapper ... to-date, all we’ve played are the halves from SiA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, I never cease to marvel at our similar taste. I'm a big fan of M&P, but it is very tough to master. And in that, I think it conveys an incredible appreciation of what it must have been like on the battlefields of Europe in the early 17th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Other shots of that night

Gordon, are you in any of these images?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GringerJD wrote:
Jason, I never cease to marvel at our similar taste. I'm a big fan of M&P, but it is very tough to master. And in that, I think it conveys an incredible appreciation of what it must have been like on the battlefields of Europe in the early 17th century.

I am trying to 'get' Nothing Gained But Glory but I find it a bit hard solo. Maybe a face to face when you get back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how does one convince their tropical loving spouse to move to St. Paul/Minneapolis for gaming purposes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a cabin here for gaming (and only visit in spring > fall) and keep your main residence in the tropics: winter is just too #$@^@%!! cold and long for sane people to live here all year around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Get a cabin here for gaming (and only visit in spring > fall) and keep your main residence in the tropics: winter is just too #$@^@%!! cold and long for sane people to live here all year around.

The fact that it took 4 edits to get that right proves your point me thinks.

We meet in Iowa so she knows cold. Just hates it. I don't mind spending my days indoors, drink warm liquids or cold liquids that warm, reading a book, playing a game, watching a movie, etc. It is when you have to go to work (that silly old thing) that leaving the house during January in the upper Midwest represents a game within itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
winter is just too #$@^@%!! cold and long for sane people to live here all year around.

So true. "Sunny," it says.

GringerJD wrote:
Gordon, are you in any of these images?

Gordy was busy teaching us the monumentally dumb Maximum Throwdown.

I kid. At worst it was only regular dumb, but I still want those 20 minutes back. And to be overly fair, he also played/taught another mutual interest of ours, Jeff: Cooba.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thud13x wrote:
It is when you have to go to work (that silly old thing) that leaving the house during January in the upper Midwest represents a game within itself.

That's why you do what I did. Move even farther north, and work from home. The farther north part means cheap enough real estate you can get a big enough house to not get cabin fever (too badly.) There are whole rooms in this place that almost never get used, and I haven't even fixed up the third floor yet. Of course, it means I'm out of range of those games, so it would mostly be self-defeating.

OK, the real reason we moved here (here = Marble, MN a bustling metropolis of ~700 people) is for my wife's job. She's a forester, winter is prime field work time for her. No bugs, and the wet areas are frozen and so can be crossed more easily. I think she's nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's me in the Minnesota Twins hat. Being a Minnesota sports fan does strange things to the mind. Thus my like for MAXIMUM THROWDOWN!!!!

I've been interested in M&P, but have been too busy teaching newbies Cuba Libre. (The guys sitting across from me in the CL game have a total of 2 games of COIN under their belt. But they are lovin CL at the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |