Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shlomi Atia
Israel
Deganya B
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My first modern board game was Settlers of Catan. While the fact that I'm here is a testament of it's success in introducing the hobby, I remember I was disappointed that it wasn't related to the Settlers video games series. If you don't know this series, it's based around production chains. You build a woodcutter, that harvest wood, which is processed in the sawmill for planks, and in turn allow you to build additional stuff.

So far, I tried Neuland, but it fell flat. I felt it was more about the timing mechanic then anything else. I also ordered Le Havre. Other then that, I read about Ora et Labora, Glass Road, Roads & Boats, Helvetia, and Craftsmen. I was wondering if anyone knows other games in that vein, or recommend on one of the games I researched. Some of them are hard to get, so I would like to hear how they play and how good are they before I make an effort on finding them. For example, Roads & Boats seem to be right on the spot, but does it justify the length and ridiculous price?

In the end, I just want to generate wheat in the farm, mill it for flour in the wind mill, turn it to bread in the bakery, and feed my people! Why is that so hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt that Antiquity is the closest I've ever seen to Settlers

It's expensive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lee
Switzerland
Zurich City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played Roads and Boats I had to think immediately about Settlers ( I still love the Settler 2 Gold edition.)

From those games you mentioned it's the most similiar to the game in my opinion. But of course it dosen't replace the game. The biggest difference is the war aspect and development of tools for your craftmen, which is nicer in the game.

Overall it was worth for my buying the game. It's really pricy and loooong, but worth the money if you got a friend who's willing to play on a Saturday afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lee
Switzerland
Zurich City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I've always felt that Antiquity is rhr closest I've ever seen to Settlers

It's expensive though.

Did you play R&B as well? (I didn't so can't compare)

Antiquity is on my wishlist...just waiting for the reprint.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I haven't, so between us we can kind of compare but not properly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Mount Horeb
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played both Antiquity and Roads & Boats, and both games are probably my two favorite games of all time. I'm also a huge fan of the Setters (I've been playing Settlers 7 a lot lately).

I'd say both games feel lot like the Settlers, but in different ways.

Roads & Boats is all about constructing primary production buildings (woodcutter, mine, quarry), then gradually, building the second and third tier buildings in complex chains (Woodcutter -> Sawmill -> Papermill). And having to actually transport your goods across the map really feels like the city-planning aspect of The Settlers.

In Antiquity, there isn't really any converting and upgrading of resources like in R&B, but what it does capture is the feeling of planning where to send out your workers on the map and setting up the woodcutter, fisher, miner, etc. then waiting each turn for them to pump out their produced goods, which is just like the automated way workers behave in The Settlers. The city-planning in Antiquity is a little more abstract, having to arrange Tetris-like pieces, but it is also an interesting element in its own right.

Also, I agree that Neuland does have a lot of similarities to the Settlers, but it's not at all the same caliber of game. Ora et Labora is another favorite game of mine, but I'd say that Antiquity and Roads & Roads capture the feel of Settlers a lot more, especially since the geographical layout is much more important.

My advice is to get Roads & Boats now while it's still recently in print. You won't regret it. I would say between R&B and Antiquity, R&B feels slightly closer to The Settlers; however, I would actually encourage you to try to get both games eventually. Even though they are both really expensive, I feel that having 2 really good, but expensive games, is much better than having a handful of mediocre, but cheaper, games. The experience of playing these games is much more satisfying, and you finish feeling like you really built up a nice empire in a span of 2-3 hours (new players tend to take 3-4 hours to play these games, but the time is reduced the more you play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MegaGuy wrote:

...I just want to generate wheat in the farm, mill it for flour in the wind mill, turn it to bread in the bakery, and feed my people! Why is that so hard

So... Agricola, then..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls