Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card shows a grave tile of value 8 and says "During final scoring this card counts as 8."

Do you get 8 points, which also count towards the grave bonus, or does this card just count for the grave bonus without awarding the 8 points directly?

I've always assumed the first but I've just noticed that on Yucata you don't get 8 points when you take the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It simply counts towards your grave total, adding 8 to whatever other graves you have acquired. It isn't 8 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Campbell
Wales
Llantwit Major
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It simply counts towards your grave total, adding 8 to whatever other graves you have acquired. It isn't 8 VP.

Tell my wife that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty clear that the card does not award 8 immediate points because it says "During final scoring this card counts as 8." It specifies that the reward comes only during final scoring, when grave totals are tallied. Points from building graves are not scored during final scoring.

Also, cards that have immediate effects say "Immediately" on them. The "8 grave points" card is a "Permanent" card. How could it give 8 immediate points if it gives a permanent effect? The only permanent graves-related effect is the player's total tally, which is tied to final scoring. It stands to reason, then, that only the final tally is modified by the card.

When I'm confused about card powers, I tend to assume that the game designers have created a balanced, reasonable cardset. No other card awards anywhere near 8 points without the player having built some infrastructure or accomplished previous goals. A card that awarded 8 points *and* boosted a player's final grave total would actually be worth a minimum of 10 victory points, making it massively overpowered compared to other cards. However, a card awarding 8 grave points is worth 2-4 points, which seems much more in line with other Nile cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I always thought that was the best round 5 card and went for it if I could As it really is, it's one of the weaker round 5 cards really, but that's better than the overpowered card I thought it was.

thx all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ir0nM0nkey wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Tell my wife that...

Dear Darren's wife. The 8 Nile card does NOT count as 8 points. It only applies to your total amount of graves build for the gravestone end of game bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:English, Dutch, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls