Subject: Playmat for Draco Magi usable for Omen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at the Kickstarter project for Draco Magi since it went online.
I now see they have added a neoprene playmat 18"x24" to the add-ons.
I am thinking it might work well for Omen as well.

Or maybe it will become too crowded underneath each city?
What about space for Feat Cards?
Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly speaking, I do not see the need for a playmat in games, but in the case of Omen it is even stronger. Do you need the markings for 3 cards? can't you see them in your mind?

Also, a great point of omen is its portability (it is 100 cards and a few coins after all). Why would you want to mess around that by adding a bit playmat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Omen last night with my daughter. An epic match, and she prevailed 18-15. Using a mat wouldn't have made the game any better.

I packed this game along with two others on our last vacation. We played all of them in the hotel lobby sans mats. Omen will keep its place as a vacation game because it's so small.

And adding a mat to Omen conflicts with the name of the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your input, but I have already decided I want a playmat.
I like the aesthetics of playmats and the neoprene material is perfect for these types of games.

So I am looking for input on the usability of the Draco Magi map for Omen.
Things like portability is not important as I only play the game at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I do not know what can we say that you haven't thought: the 3 main columns could be used for the cities. The slots on the side could be used for draw and discard pile. The two extra slots on each side of the board could be used for holding the used rewards and for placing coins.

So in all, the only problem is that there is no space for the Feats (assuming that the card size is the same). How do you plan to solve that? make a secondary playmat for feats? play without playmat?

In any case, you seem to be determined on buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

In any case, you seem to be determined on buying it.
No, but I am determined to get some kind of playmat for the game.
I have been thinking of getting a doormat from ArtsCow and put an image from Omen on it, but then Draco Magi showed up with something I might be able to use instead.
So I am asking other gamers how well they think the playmat would fit Omen.
Yes, room for the Feat Cards could be a problem, which is exactly why I am asking for opinions on the usability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon image does fit at all, thematically speaking (Dragons in the ancient greek period?). Practically speaking, the feat cards take more space than anything else in the whole game....so, if you want to use the playmat you will have to ignore the designed spots.

I think a plain playmat would be better than this one. Or better yet, make yourself one: pick the image you like most, add the card slots...and presto! If you lack the Photoshop skills required, you can always ask the community and/or offer $/geekgold for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
http://www.inkedplaymats.com/

This place makes custom playmats. Several of my playgroup have mats from them, they look pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
I will look into those

Thumb up