Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone have German soldiers with Russian names?

The reason I'm asking is because in reading up on this action on D-Day, a lot of U.S. soldiers reported that they ran into German soldiers or units that were actually Russian soldiers forced to fight for the Germans.

I didn't know if it was set up in the names database in the names generating program or not.

I suppose the only way to do it would be to have the generating program allow only perhaps 2-5% of the names generated for the GLI be from the Russian database. Of course I would imagine that would not be something to use for the Fusiliers as I wouldn't think they'd have the Russian soldiers in their more veteran/elite units.

Anyway, it was just a thought that came up as I was reminded again about this when reading last night and one of the soldiers in the book commented about the Germans they encountered were actually Ukrankians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ukrainians aren't Russians shake...though they share the same alphabet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you get what I mean though Jim as far as the type of names that aren't German specific. Besides, there were people saying that there were real "Russians" fighting for the Germans too. My inclusion of Ukranians was just for the sense of the type of last name, and besides, they were mentioned in the last couple pages I read, so it was fresh. The mention of Russians was earlier than that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tak! From, Pan Waçzław Antoszewski...which is me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Tak! From, Pan Waçzław Antoszewski...which is me

What........?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd through a little Polish in...folks with Polish surnames fought on all sides. That was my "real" name by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh..I see.

True enough, there certainly can be some Polish names in the mix on all sides. My wife's father was in WWII and his Polish name was similar to yours but was called Walter here, and his last name was Gwizdala.

Of course, the U.S. soldiers could have all kinds of names, though I don't have any with any real ethnic names. Ackerman is really the closest to not being vanilla.

Though back to my original post, it wasn't just a random Russian or Ukranian that the U.S. forces ran into, it was units of them. That wasn't something I was aware of before and why I mentioned it, in that it wouldn't be out of place if a German soldier for SMG had a non-German sounding name on occasion, be it Russian, Ukranian, Polish etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Korean...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Korean Germans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Korean Germans?
LOL!...highly unlikely shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thomo.coldie.net/2007/05/07/korean-soldiers-in-ww2-ge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we learn something every day! Thanks Tom for sharing those links.

The second link kind of reinforces the main gist of what I was talking about, as it mentioned the Eastern Battalions of Soviet and eastern European conscripts. Whereby large forces of German units with non-Germans could be found near Utah beach, where the 101st saw plenty of action south of Utah beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add Danish and Norwegian names to the Germans too.
Many Danish and Norwegian men joined the German forces, though I think most of them fought against the Russians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy20 wrote:
Nice find...I never would have guessed modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
You could add Danish and Norwegian names to the Germans too.
Many Danish and Norwegian men joined the German forces, though I think most of them fought against the Russians.

Maybe save those names for the Russian front version of SMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, if you will google "ost battalions" you will have your answers. Yes, a lot of troops in Normandy fit that description, especially the "static" troops near the beaches.

One of the early development challenges for SMG was who the US paras would fight. There were lots of poorly led, poorly equipped units like these--but not much fun to operate in a game where you might be running 5-8 guys. On the other hand, the panzer grenadiers in the area were too well equipped and too dependent on ordnance and vehicles. Jeff and I found the 91st Air Landing Division about the same time. Light infantry, scattered all over the operational area, with frequent contacts in the opening days with the US paras. They were ideal.

Part of that unit was the 6th FJ regiment (who we can look forward to) and a "panzer training unit" with French tanks, heavily involved at La Fiere Bridge. I had hopes to represent them in some way (even a knocked out tank tile) but that will wait for a future release.

Interesting history behind your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting stuff there Kevin. Thanks for sharing thumbsup