Subject: 1.2 rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex F
Germany
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
Noticed on the Athens & Sparta site 1.2 rules are available:
http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?prod...

I can't find any discussion regarding them on the forums. The manual has (C)2013, so I assume these rules were not available in 2012 when the last posts in this forum were made.

Has anyone played with them and wants to share his experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Tee
msg tools
My opinion.

I've played ATHENS VS SPARTA with the intial rules (v1 and v1.1) and found out that the Spartans have NO WAY to win. The VC conditions state that if SPARTA cannot get 30 BPs, then Athens wins. Athens have the advantage of holding more BPs initially. Even if Sparta can capture more BPs than Athens, if they don't hit that magic number of 30, Athens wins. All Athens have to do is to play a "turtle" strategy and SPARTA will have great difficulty beating Athens. In addition, Athens need not go to Sicily.

Now, with 1.2, it goads Athens to play more aggresively. The VCs were changed to read that the side with the highest BP wins. If a tie, Athens wins. Now, the situation is interesting. There is a path for Sparta to win; and as for Athens, they are now forced to play more aggresively even to tie. I must confess that I did not play this game with the new VCs. It may be better.

I have spent a lot of time playing GMT's HELLENES game. I like it a lot better. The only advantage that COLUMBIA's ATHENS VS SPARTA has is that you can game the entire Peloponnesian War in 1 game. HELLENES is more dependent on scenarios (they have a total of 4 on the majore periods of the war).

Hope this helps.

JJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls