Subject: Paint question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone! (Well, not everyone--just everyone who happens to read this.) After playing this game a couple weeks ago, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a copy myself. I figure I'll want to paint the minis at some point, although it will be a while before I make the attempt. I've never done such a thing before, so I'll probably just use Jerry Hawthorne's painting guide. One thing I'm not sure about is what sort of paint to use. Is it better to use an acrylic paint, an enamel paint, or another kind altogether? One of my concerns is that I have a cat, and I'm a little worried that he'll get into my paint while I'm working; are there certain paints that are less likely to harm him, should that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
The folk art acrylic paints work just fine (you need to thin them some) however I am not sure how this affects your cat, maybe put them out of their reach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that he's a cat--nothing is out of his reach
Having said that, I'm sure I can find safe places to a.) keep my supplies when I'm not using them and b.) keep my minis while they're drying. The main thing I'm concerned with is that he'll do something while I'm working; he tends to be pretty curious about whatever I'm up to, and also has a habit of placing himself squarely where my attention is focused. (He's even standing in front of the monitor as I type this.) I suppose I could lock him (or myself) in another room while I'm painting, although I don't think he'll tolerate that for very long. Maybe when it gets warmer, I can try working out on the balcony of my apartment....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use folk Art when painting minis for anything. You can thin them down if you want but I haven't had a problem with them being too thick to use. Although for metallic tones I use miniature paint. Using folk Art is just as good and you get much more for your money. A good way to know if you even like painting them with out a huge investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odie Bracy
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acrylics are definitely the way to go.

I use a mix of different gaming paints that I've collected over the years, but I would echo recommendations here that you start with paints that are on the lower end of the cost spectrum (not on the quality spectrum!), and only buy more specialty paints if you feel you need them.

Most acrylics are going to be non-toxic (but check the labels), so nothing should be overly harmful to kitty unless he drinks a whole bottle of the stuff.

I have cats as well, so I know the frustration of them getting into your painting area. My biggest piece of advice for keeping things organized and as disaster-free as possible with cats is to get yourself a paint palette from an art shop, or use a ceramic tile or plate, and use that to hold the paint you're actively using - instead of keeping an open bottle of paint on the table that can be knocked over by a cat, transfer small amounts of the paint you're using to the palette, and reseal the bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent--you guys have been most helpful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acrylic is by far the safest, I've accidentally drank from my brush cleaning cup before and had no ill effects. Pro Tip: Don't keep your cleaning cup and drinking cup on the same side of your work space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As another amateur that started painting about a year ago, here's what I've found:

- Most of the time cheaper paints work. Some colors are more troublesome than others so I bought matching shades from the Privateer Press brand. My "basic" paints were fine except for green, yellow, and purple. They went on "milky" and were hard to get a nice solid coat. I thought it was me until I got better paints for those colors.

- I never bought a paint palette. A piece of wax paper (you can buy palette paper that is similar) or aluminum foil works just as well and is disposable.

- I bought a cheap plastic toolbox for my paint supplies. It takes minutes for a figure to dry enough to be able to store it in a toolbox.

- Spend a little more on a nice brush. Series 7 is a good brand. What you want is a brush that has a nice fine tip that holds in place. This is invaluable for detail work. My first "small" brush was cheap and the bristles started to spread apart as the brush would dry. Frustrating for fine detail work. Buying a nicer brush that holds a tip was a huge improvement.

- If you don't want to make your own washes, you can buy them too. They're not expensive and you don't have to mix them yourself and experiment. I've had decent luck both ways.

Finally, listen to the experts before you listen to me! I can assure you they've been doing it longer and better than I have. I just thought I'd share what I've run into over the past year. It's an enjoyable hobby for sure. I'm interested in painting Mice and Mystics as well. I started with Shadows Over Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls