Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having explored a lot of different areas of gaming, I have yet to really look into or discover a CCG or LCG that is what I would call a good game.

I mostly game with my girlfriend and we thoroughly enjoy card based games.

My History/Exposure

Years ago back in middle school I played the Pokemon CCG when it first came out(I believe it was just up to the Jungle edition before I stopped). Now it appears there are tons of new Pokemon than the ~150 that originally were there.

I bought a two player starter set of Yu-gi-oh and played it a few times when it first came out as well. It didn't seem near as interesting.

Last year I bought the Game of Thrones HBO edition card game which is supposed to be a lighter version of the LCG model, I believe. It was terrible IMO. All I was thinking was that surely the popular LCG played much better.

I just recently bought a couple intro decks, a fat pack, and a two player battle pack of Magic the Gathering. This was my first time playing the game and I was so underwhelmed at the gameplay mechanics. It literally blew my mind in wonder as to how this game is popular at all.

From those exposures and unless the game system and rules have dramatically changed, Pokemon had the best mechanics between all of them. The deck construction also seemed to be the most intuitive as well. Now I never hear about the Pokemon CCG on BGG, so it makes me think it probably isn't any good anymore. Then again, Magic is talked about a fair amount.

Anyway, I am curious if there is a card based system that is either an LCG or CCG model that has unique and intuitive mechanics and a deck-building system that I am missing out on? Or have I been exposed to many great board and card games that these systems just won't give me a wow factor.

From a recommendation standpoint, I AM looking for an LCG or CCG to get into for the deck-building mechanisms but also just importantly the gameplay.

Thanks for any and all your help.

- Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
While not really either of these if take a look at pixel tactics. You know what you're getting in the packs like in an LCG but you can also draft or construct decks like in a CCG. Check out level 99 games' website about the game and to see the rules for different variants in which to play. It's currently one of my favorite card based two player games that can also unofficially play with three and officially play with four as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both out to suck your wallet dry, but LCGs at least do so with a more straight forward approach. You will know what you are going to get when you make a purchase. If you are going to go deep into either, I recommend that you stick to the LCG model.

I think MtG is still probably the best CCG out there to date and that it was because you didn't see enough of the cards out there that you didn't enjoy your experience. MtG gives players many different options as far as tactics go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
While not really either of these if take a look at pixel tactics. You know what you're getting in the packs like in an LCG but you can also draft or construct decks like in a CCG. Check out level 99 games' website about the game and to see the rules for different variants in which to play. It's currently one of my favorite card based two player games that can also unofficially play with three and officially play with four as well.

I am actually looking into BattleCon from Level 99's games. It looks interesting. I'll take a closer look at Pixel Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
They are both out to suck your wallet dry, but LCGs at least do so with a more straight forward approach. You will know what you are going to get when you make a purchase. If you are going to go deep into either, I recommend that you stick to the LCG model.

It's not really the money I am concerned with as I don't have the need to want every card out there or to even construct the best decks. I will most often be playing the game casually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You might like Summoner Wars. While it is not an LCG per se, there is a deckbuilding component that allows you to customize your forces based on faction. And the gameplay is certainly unique--it's like a blend of Magic, Chess, and The Battle for Hill 218. Cards are played out on a grid and move around to try and capture the opponent's "king".

Playdek has a really great implementation of the game for iOS, so you can try it out there to see if you like it.

I hate it when people post that they don't like a game and others try to convince them that their experience was WRONG and that they are incorrect. So I won't try to change your opinion on Magic, but I'm curious what underwhelmed you about the mechanics. Did the game feel too simple to you? What was better about Pokemon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
You might like Summoner Wars. While it is not an LCG per se, there is a deckbuilding component that allows you to customize your forces based on faction. And the gameplay is certainly unique--it's like a blend of Magic, Chess, and The Battle for Hill 218. Cards are played out on a grid and move around to try and capture the opponent's "king".

Playdek has a really great implementation of the game for iOS, so you can try it out there to see if you like it.

I hate it when people post that they don't like a game and others try to convince them that their experience was WRONG and that they are incorrect. So I won't try to change your opinion on Magic, but I'm curious what underwhelmed you about the mechanics. Did the game feel too simple to you? What was better about Pokemon?

See my microbadges I love Summoner Wars, but we don't really deck-build in it. Although we've thought about starting to.

The mana system in magic seems a bit odd. It pretty much just stays in play and the amount available continues to get bigger and bigger. (In pokemon for example, you risked playing your energy because you had to attach it to one creature that could potentially get knocked out losing all the energy attached to it.) With the mana pool, playing cards out of your hand becomes super easy as the game progresses. I also really disliked only drawing one card at the start of your turn. Maybe there are plenty of cards that allow you to draw lots more, it just seemed like the game moved sorta quick in the beginning and then slowed way down when your hand size was virtually one or two cards. I thought summoning a creature onto the battlefield and it was unable to do anything for an entire turn was a bit drab. Also a creature could attack, but if they attack that round, they couldn't defend on the opponent's turn. If you did attack and they defended with a stronger monster then it could potentially kill your monster because the defender attacks back. It just felt like a mess of a game. There could be a couple of rules we didn't have quite right, but after a few games I watched several tutorial videos to make sure we had it all correct and it appeared we did.

Pokemon's system of evolution seemed clever and made tough choices for how many of each card to put in your deck. Also, you had to balance having different types of elements in case you were up against a deck that your pokemon had weaknesses against. Even though it may have been advertised as a kid's game, the gameplay seems to have many more layers than what magic does. I could be wrong, I'm no expert in either of these games, but magic definitely felt like it was missing a lot of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Mage Wars is the greats LCG that has ever existed. The fact that it's not mentioned sickens me.

Android Netrunner is a distant second, but it's still awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
I am actually looking into BattleCon from Level 99's games. It looks interesting. I'll take a closer look at Pixel Tactics.

BattleCON is amazing, and there are characters/variants that edge toward a tiny bit of deckbuilding (Joal and Endrbyt, the Strikers expansion, the optional Equipment Duel) but if you want deckbuilding or an LCG release style, Pixel Tactics is definitely much closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Android: Netrunner an LCG? It's supposed to be absolutely fantastic...although I haven't really looked into it much myself.

Also, since you're looking into BattleCon, I've just got to say that it's awesome. I don't have a good opponent to get it to the table enough to justify purchasing it, but it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua
United States
rock hill
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that you have overlooked the fact that MTG is an enormous game, and you were most likely playing with the most basic of its components. The game has enormous strategic depth, varied styles of play, and flavor options. Decks are meant to be built with a mana curve in mind, so that the cost of cards works well with the mana available during different stages of the game. There are also many strategies that allow you to increase the amount of cards you will draw in a turn. There are strategies that are extremely aggressive. There are strategies that are very controlling. There are strategies that are midrange. The list goes on and on. The game allows you to play in whatever style you choose. DECKBUILDING IS THE WAY TO DO THIS. If you are unwilling to put forth the effort to make the game play the way you want it to, it won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: The Card Game is my favorite of the FFG LCGs. The deck building is easy for new players to the genre (I've been using it to teach my girlfriend how to construct decks) and I think it has the most interesting combat system of any dueling card game that I've played.

Mage Wars and Summoner Wars feel more like tactical miniatures games than they do dueling card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Star Wars LCG - bacause I like Star Wars....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Mage Wars is the greats LCG that has ever existed. The fact that it's not mentioned sickens me.

I don't consider Summoner Wars or Mage Wars to be LCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I can wholeheartedly recommend is Android: Netrunner. And even that game I am willing to say isn't for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
mlcarter815 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I don't consider red to be the colour red; however, I'm colour blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johanrox wrote:
It seems to me that you have overlooked the fact that MTG is an enormous game, and you were most likely playing with the most basic of its components. The game has enormous strategic depth, varied styles of play, and flavor options. Decks are meant to be built with a mana curve in mind, so that the cost of cards works well with the mana available during different stages of the game. There are also many strategies that allow you to increase the amount of cards you will draw in a turn. There are strategies that are extremely aggressive. There are strategies that are very controlling. There are strategies that are midrange. The list goes on and on. The game allows you to play in whatever style you choose. DECKBUILDING IS THE WAY TO DO THIS. If you are unwilling to put forth the effort to make the game play the way you want it to, it won't.

Except we did try the deckbuilding with this system. I think we had about 15 booster packs in total with all we got. Now if you are saying that in order for me to enjoy the game by having every card at my disposal to allow me to enjoy the game...now that's ridiculous.

I'm not complaining that the core of the game didn't play the way I wanted. I am simply saying mechanically the game is boring. I get that deck building is part of the fun of the system, but shouldn't the gameplay be just as fun?

I believe with any of these games of this nature, the gameplay should be fundamentally the reason for the enjoyment of it. Maybe that is the incorrect mindset though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
The only one I can wholeheartedly recommend is Android: Netrunner. And even that game I am willing to say isn't for everyone.

It seems this is the most loved of the LCGs. I am just unsure if the theme appeals that much to me of the girlfriend. Guess I should just look further into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android Netrunner (if you like Cyber Punk and like asymetry)

Lord of the Rings LCG (if you like that world and fantasy)

Star Wars LCG (if you like Star Wars)

All these Fantasy Flight games have unique game mechanics and offer unique and fun playing experiences. The all fair better IMHO than M:tG and other CCG's

IF you really want to look at LCG's then give a look to these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Diller
United States
Clyde
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Huh? I guess you're trying to be clever here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's possible that this style of game just isn't your thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Does being a card game and having expansions make it an LCG? If that's the case, then LCG is a useless term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katzebar wrote:
Carthage wrote:
I think we had about 15 booster packs in total with all we got. Now if you are saying that in order for me to enjoy the game by having every card at my disposal to allow me to enjoy the game...now that's ridiculous.

15 booster packs is really a drop in the bucket when it comes to the Magic collection that it usually takes to enjoy a lot of the quirky nuance that makes Legacy and Extended Magic tick. Even for Standard play, it's actually a bit on the light side, and the reason is that Magic is designed to suck you absolutely bone dry when it comes to cash.

Not saying that Magic is a bad game (though I did get out of it completely a year or two ago), but it is a hobby unto its own because of its kind of insane price point to become worthwhile. And at that price point you could probably buy a whole pile of boxed games and be set for a few years.

While it's not an LCG, I would heavily suggest Seasons, as it's pretty rules light, and uses drafting, timing, and resource management to wring out each and every precious drop of meaning out of the limited amount of content that's provided (100 cards in the box? Nothing compared to even a "decent" M:tG collection).

I know 15 boosters isn't much. But we just wanted to get a feel for the deckbuilding aspect of the game.

I have Seasons and the expansion, wonderful game. I also have hundreds of games played on BGA of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhcuatro wrote:
Android Netrunner (if you like Cyber Punk and like asymetry)

Lord of the Rings LCG (if you like that world and fantasy)

Star Wars LCG (if you like Star Wars)

All these Fantasy Flight games have unique game mechanics and offer unique and fun playing experiences. The all fair better IMHO than M:tG and other CCG's

IF you really want to look at LCG's then give a look to these!

I think that may be the issue. I don't want to like a game just because of a theme or universe. I want to like it for the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:

It's possible that this style of game just isn't your thing.

That may be true. I just find it odd that one hasn't struck a chord with me since we enjoy 2-player card based games so much. Since deckbuilding is one mechanic we are missing in the collection then I figure we should fill in that gap.

*Note* - Not deckbuilding in the sense of Dominion, Thunderstone, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |