Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic or Flash Point: Fire Rescue or K2 as a solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject says it all. I've read all the posts but can't make up my mind on which one to buy. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played K2, but have both of the others and play them solo...it is close, but I would probably give the edge to Flash Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played K2, but I own Flashpoint and Pandemic. I traded my original Pandemic away years ago expecting to replace it with Flashpoint. While Flashpoint is a fine game, I recently purchased Pandemic again along with all of the expansions. In my opinion Pandemic is a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Never played K2, own flash point and pandemic. .. Both are good games, pandemic is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played K2. There's no official solo rule for that, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm overwhelmed, so much feedback in such a short time (in this and other threads).

I think I've made up my mind: it's going to be Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

I didn't give you any information about myself, my tastes and my gaming habits, so as not to bias your opinions, but now you deserve some info.

I do not have that much time for playing board games, I have a busy life with many responsibilities and other hobbies, being writing novels the main one. But once in a while I enjoy one hour or so of board gaming. I don't have any regular gaming partner, nor time to look for them; my wife is not really into it, being Backgammon, Hanaby and Black Stories the ones she likes. Hopefully my daughter, soon to be 4, will move on from Little Orchard and board games with Dora the Explorer and Peppa Pig to something more "meatier".

Hence my solo playing habit. My favorite game so far has been The Lord of the Rings (the one by Knizia). I simply love it! I own all three expansions and have had tons of fun so far. That is the heavier game I can afford to play with the spare time I have - and often I can't pull it out of the box either. That's why I've been looking for something shorter.

K2 had the most appealing theme to me, I love sports and used to do some free climbing many years ago. But I see now that a high-score solo mechanics makes for a poor game play (note: the game DOES have an official solo variant).

Pandemic seemed to be the one that packed the most interesting decisions in a short time, but you managed to convince me that FPFR is more fun! And is more family appealing... soon could come the time my daughter wants to play firefighters!

About the other games that have been suggested, I don't feel like playing a CCG/LCG, I had a bad experience with Magic the Gathering in my teens and I don't feel like repeating it. And I'm not in the mood for fantasy games, or 2+ hours games either.

Thanks everybody for the answers, I'll reward you with a solo review of FFPR when I'll get to play it enough.

Ciao!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I've got FPFR a couple of days ago, played two games (family rules), lost both and had a blast! The game is fantastic, rules are easy to pick but the game looks very hard indeed - or maybe it's me...
Thanks everybody for the advice, here comes another satisfied BGG user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn too late. Still, if anyone else drops by the thread, here's a vote for K2 solo. It's a fantastic optimization puzzle solo IMO.

I have Pandemic and Flashpoint as well though, and they're both brilliant.

But here's my review of K2 solo, as it says best whst I think about its solo game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067139/k2-tremendous-solo-...

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls