Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the Walkthrough on the Kickstarter page, and reading some of the reviews on BGG this game looks really awesome! I'd really like to buy it, but I'm kind of hesitant on one point: how accessible is this game for people who are colorblind (even mildly so)?

I noticed in the walkthrough that the two player decks are "gold" and "green", and, at least from the video (there wasn't really a good shot of the two decks next to each other), the backs of the two decks looked really similar to me (I'm mildly red-green colorblind). This has me worried about the rest of the game, since it seemed like a lot of the game is based off of the colors of the dragons. Add that into the whole "metallic" dragon grouping, and I'm just a little worried that I won't be able to distinguish the different colors all that well.

Are there symbols on the cards that distinguish what group they belong to? Is there something like Ticket To Ride, where there are all sorts of different colors, but each color has a specific symbol?

If someone could clear this up for me, that would be great, so I can go ahead get this game pledged!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from sorting the decks based on the back of the cards, the rest of the game should be quite accessible to colorblind people for what I've seen.

The colors of the dragons only help distinguishing them, but the new approach of highlighting the name of the dragon in the text effect (and the fact that they added an "(M)" for metallic dragons) clears any ambiguity. Colored gems on battlefields can be a concern, but my understanding is that they will use differently shaped gems for different colors to have colorless visual clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear. I've had a mixed experience with boardgames and being colorblind. On the one hand TTR did a great job of sneaking those symbols in there. I've played with people who aren't color blind, and they don't even notice the symbols. I, on the other hand, rely solely on the symbols, that's even what I call the cards by, is the shape of the symbol.

However, on the other hand, I was really disappointed in Vlaada's oversight in Mage Knight. The red and green crystals are practically indistinguishable, as are the backs of the different brown and green tiles.

So, it's good to hear at least some effort was made to make this game accessible for colorblindness. I think I'll back it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weimholt
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
If I beat your score, you must *really* suck.
badge
massenburger wrote:
I noticed in the walkthrough that the two player decks are "gold" and "green", and, at least from the video (there wasn't really a good shot of the two decks next to each other), the backs of the two decks looked really similar to me (I'm mildly red-green colorblind).

I also thought the gold and green looked very similar in the video, and I'm not colorblind (not even a little bit - been tested plenty of times). So I just assumed that the apparent lack of difference between green and gold was just due to the angle at which the cards are shown in the video, and that if I saw them side by side, I'd be able to see the difference much more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is colorblind friendly.
The battle cards are color independent.
The gems are not just different colors, but also different shapes.
The dragons cards are labelled with text.
The gold and green decks are never mixed, and as you can see from the two different dragons illustrations on the backs (shown below), they can be easily distinguished without the color. (Look at their orientation and tails)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mweimholt wrote:
massenburger wrote:
I noticed in the walkthrough that the two player decks are "gold" and "green", and, at least from the video (there wasn't really a good shot of the two decks next to each other), the backs of the two decks looked really similar to me (I'm mildly red-green colorblind).

I also thought the gold and green looked very similar in the video, and I'm not colorblind (not even a little bit - been tested plenty of times). So I just assumed that the apparent lack of difference between green and gold was just due to the angle at which the cards are shown in the video, and that if I saw them side by side, I'd be able to see the difference much more easily.

The difference there doesn't really make a gameplay difference since both the decks are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
The game is colorblind friendly.
The battle cards are color independent.
The gems are not just different colors, but also different shapes.
The dragons cards are labelled with text.
The gold and green decks are never mixed, and as you can see from the two different dragons illustrations on the backs (shown below), they can be easily distinguished without the color. (Look at their orientation and tails)

Great to hear Robert! Thanks for the direct reply!

It's nice when designers think about this sort of thing, since it's so frustrating when you're playing a game that didn't account for colorblindness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls