Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
When convincing other people to become elected President, is it just the laws -- or is all legislation they will pass (regardless of law or not)

Further, I've found it hard to remember what each person's 3 platforms will be. Also, I've found people tune out because the President can pretty much do what they want. The convincing of people seems pointless.

Therefore, I wish to know exactly;

1. When convincing people of legislation they will pass, is it just laws or is it all legislation?

2. How to stop people tuning out on the 3 platforms? Is there a set structure that you find works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The president passes 3 pieces of legislation (laws or otherwise), so players should campaign on all legislation, not just laws.

I usually like to keep things unstructured, but I know some game groups prefer more structure. You might try going around the table, giving each player a chance to speak, maybe even imposing a time limit to keep players brief.

I usually offset the legislation cards I'm proposing to pass, or moving them around so the ones I want to pass are clustered (like all on the top row, for example). That might not help with people forgetting what different players are proposing, though. Maybe you can use different denominations of coins to keep track of what different players are proposing?

The president can do whatever he or she wants, so there is a level of distrust for candidates. Part of the campaign trail is listening to what players have to say, and part is trying to figure out what players are actually likely to do. You can match up your industries with the different candidates to figure out which one would hurt you least based on shared interests.

Whatever you find works for your group, please share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nothingsacredgames wrote:
Whatever you find works for your group, please share!

I've only played this once and thought it has great potential, especially with the right group entering into the spirit of things.

One thought that occurred to me (admittedly after just one play remember) was that it might be useful to equip each player with 3 cubes of their colour, which they could use to identify the laws/legislation cards they intend to enact if elected. This would make it easier for players to assess which candidate's intentions would be most beneficial, and also clearly indicate the broken promises after the election!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I haven't actually tried the counter thing myself, but others have suggested it, and I can only see it adding to the Campaign Trail phase. Not only would it clarify candidates' positions and lighten memory load, I could see having something physical to gesture with creating some really fun and dramatic campaign speeches!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls