Subject: Ploy, what is it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melvin Dale
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I am a student at MCLA in Mr. Latoni’s (El Hidalgo) gaming elective, and we are exploring new games that we’ve never played before. The game I selected was Ploy.

Ploy is the checkers and chess-like strategy game. The objective of the game is to eliminate your opponent(s) commander or all of his pieces. Pieces can only move along the path in line with the indicators originating from their centers in one direction. When I first open the box I saw two separate layouts that go together to create the board. The pieces go in a small box that is very easy to access. I suppose the game is simple, easy to play and setup, and looks like checkers. I’d rate my first impression of the game a 7 out of 10.

The game has several different components including rules, a box, playing pieces, and a game board. The box is easy to open and looks old with pictures on the surface. The board can be easily put together and isn’t very complex. The pieces go in a small box that is divided into 4 different sections for each of the colors. For a two player game each player gets 9 pieces, three players get 9 each and four players get 9 each. I would give the components a 9 out of 10.

When you open the box you will see the rules. They are two pages long, and aren’t very organized or clear. The rules look easy but aren’t easy to understand because they’re crowded and to close to each othershake. The game itself can be set up in 2-5 minute The objective of the game is to eliminate the opponent(s) king piece or all of their pieces. The game could take as little as 20 minutes or as long as an hour. The strategy is knowing when to move, what to move and when rotate a piece to change direction. I rate the box and rules 6 out of 10devil.

What makes Ploy a good game is it’s simplicity, it’s fun to play, and a good strategy game that makes you think. The game can be a little too simple and it’s kind of hard to set-up. It’s very hard to set up without the instruction manual, by this I mean the pieces must go in a certain order and point in a particular direction, and it’s very hard to remember how to arrange the pieces in that particular order. Overall I’d give ploy an 8 out of 10.

I think the game has more of a fun factor rather than a brain burner. You can play for about 2 games but then it might get boring after a couple of gamescry. Ploy has absolutely no luck involved, it’s completely based on strategy. The game gets repetitive over time unless you add some fun to it like your own rules. My table and I prefer the game to allow the pieces to move in more than one direction. By this I mean that you are only allowed to move in one direction, vertical, horizontal, or diagonal. I think it would be more interesting if we could move horizontal, vertical, and diagonal all in one move. All in all Ploy is a fun, interacting, and entertaining game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured that the game implied you had to beat Spock would at least knock it up a point higher than you gave it :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Review!
I love reviews and other contributions to older games.
I mostly agree with the OP, except for the following paragraph.

melvin14 wrote:

I think the game has more of a fun factor rather than a brain burner. You can play for about 2 games but then it might get boring after a couple of gamescry. Ploy has absolutely no luck involved, it’s completely based on strategy. The game gets repetitive over time unless you add some fun to it like your own rules.

Also Chess has no luck involved and is completely based on strategy.
Still many chess players would not it call it boring or just a game with fun factor.
I have to admit I have played Ploy only a couple of times. What makes you think the games gets repetitive after a few plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Dale
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I agree, but ploy isn't as complex as chess. I think it gets repetitive over time because the pieces can only move in one direction, but in chess you can move your castle horizontal or vertical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Dale
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I was about to give it a 9, but the rules made me take it down to an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate the game as 8 as well, so it seems we agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melvin14 wrote:
I agree, but ploy isn't as complex as chess. I think it gets repetitive over time because the pieces can only move in one direction, but in chess you can move your castle horizontal or vertical

In chess, rooks, also known as castles, are allowed to move horizontally or vertically, as you state. They may not move both ways on the same move. You refer to the choices available on a player's move. The move choices for a rook may be up to four different directions, depending on its location on the board. I believe we are in agreement with respect to chess.

In Ploy, a player may choose to move each Shield only in one direction. In the two player game, each player gets three Shields and twelve other pieces which can provide move choices of two, three, or four different directions. Furthermore, a player may choose to rotate a piece instead of moving one, so that the rotated piece points in new directions. No chess piece is allowed to do that.

Do you agree with me that your statement, which I have emphasized in bold, is incorrect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

David

I'm glad you chimed in on that "One Direction" statement because yes the pieces can move in more than one direction plus rotate. I have yet to find the game boring after decades of play. Ploy still a favorite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my MCLA (Mueller Charter Leadership Academy) student and OP Melvin. Well written and done for a first review. You have gotten some thumbs and some thoughtful feedback. Take it all for good and game on!!!

To all the other responders, thanks for the feedback for a new gamer and a young, and quite intelligent student. All students were required to learn, and then play their game three times before submitting a review. I would further ask that you continue to support, mentor, and guide him, and at least 22 others who will also be posting on various games, in our shared hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Dale
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I do agree with your statement, but in Ploy in order to move in the other direction you must use up a turn by rotating it. While in Chess you may move your rook horizontal or vertical without wasting a turn to change it's position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ploy is a little better than Chess, but that doesn't make it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done, Melvin! Welcome to BGG, and the world of gaming. Now, as you get older, be prepared to say goodbye to your weekends and your wallet! laugh

Just kidding. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melvin14 wrote:
I do agree with your statement, but in Ploy in order to move in the other direction you must use up a turn by rotating it. While in Chess you may move your rook horizontal or vertical without wasting a turn to change it's position.

That depends on what you mean by "the other direction." If it means "the direction you want the piece to move next", then yes, I agree that often you may find you have to rotate the piece first. That may be frustrating, but IMO it does not make the game dull, it makes the game more interesting. After all, your opponent faces the same challenge as you. Experienced players learn how to position their pieces to exploit their own strengths and their opponent's weaknesses. It's a wild tactical melee. I hope you will continue to play Ploy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked Ploy ...
Another game that has some similarities to Ploy is Octi. It's more like checkers but instead of rotating pieces, you add prongs that indicate the direction the piece can move or jump. This allows you to continue designing your pieces at the cost of a move.

I think there is also an online version of the game.

Sounds like you have a fun time with this project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good game where you point your pieces before moving them is Pikemen (which is one of many games using Looney Pyramids).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.