Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb

In our neck of the woods, some new players have difficulty with railroad scoring. Because the track markers are only on certain spaces, it’s not clear (to these people) how each space should score. The player aid card visualizes railroad scoring by putting a virtual track on the spaces behind each track marker.

To make scoring easier to understand, use wooden cubes to put actual track markers behind the railhead marker, like so:

With those bits, it’s easy to see that each space scores based on its color.

To take a more involved example:

Trans Siberian scores: 7 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 26
St. Petersburg scores: 1 + 1 = 2
Kiev scores: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 5 (+30 for additional bonuses of course)

As an added bonus, this should make it easier to see how other people’s tracks are progressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is interesting as the very early prototype had the cubes for each piece of track. However we grew tiresome of the constant removing and placing of the cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a method like this great... for teaching. But one you "get it", you don't really need the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I think a method like this great... for teaching. But one you "get it", you don't really need the cubes.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not needed. If you are a beginner, have an experience player score your board for the first couple of rounds and have them explain where the points are coming from. After that, the newbie should understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff never said it was needed. Like all component upgrades that do not change game play, it is purely optional if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Yes, that was our motivation. I have taught several times where I thought it was clear that the someone understood, only to discover them still not getting it several rounds in and occasionally making sub-optimal decisions as a result. That latter reason is why I do not think that it is enough to score their tracks for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjrbedford wrote:
curtc wrote:

Yes, that was our motivation. I have taught several times where I thought it was clear that the someone understood, only to discover them still not getting it several rounds in and occasionally making sub-optimal decisions as a result. That latter reason is why I do not think that it is enough to score their tracks for them.

This. Scoring isn't all that intuitive but you really need to understand it before you begin playing and are starting to plan strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.