Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the first week in December, 2013. A week before my birthday, two weeks before Christmas. My girlfriend of four and a half years left. We didn't fall out of love, we still love each other fiercely. We had found out a few months earlier that her father was dying and needed care, and she went back home across the sea to take care of him. To make matters worse, I found out that my father had only six months to live. It was a very, very bad time.

I did have some friends over to game on my birthday though it wasn't exactly celebratory. The day after my birthday I noticed that one of the online game shops here in the UK got Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island in stock. I ordered it with first class delivery and it arrived on the 22nd of December.

I had a lot of time off work around this time and with Robinson in hand, I hoped to make it as enjoyable as possible. All of my gaming friends were spending time with their families this Christmas, Robinson would have to be my family.

In preparation for the game I had watched Ricky Royal's excellent playthrough and as is usually the case with his videos, I had only to skim the manual to get the game up and running. It wasn't long before I was chopping wood, gathering food, and trying to get my shelter in order before bad weather hit.

I suppose I should pause here for a bit of review, how easy is this game to grok? You've probably read elsewhere that the rules are a disaster, that the game is full of ambiguities, that you'll be spending more time house-ruling than playing. I suppose that depends on the kind of player you are.

If you need everything spelled out for you then Robinson will likely beg more questions than is tolerable. It doesn't help that some rules, such as the drawing of mystery cards, are completely confusing and misleading. I would argue, however, that it only takes a few forum searches and possibly watching a good playthrough (Ricky Royal's, The Lonesome Gamer's or Rahdo's - apologies to the others that I've not seen!) for things to fall into place.

I would also argue, that once those rough edges are smoothed, the game sitting within that box is a real gem, a thematic and colourful experience that succeeds at telling a story as you struggle to do everything you need to do to win. In every game of Robinson I've played--whether there were rules misunderstandings or not--at the core there was always a good story.

Within minutes of setting Robinson up I can smell the salt air, feel the wind on my face and when it gets bad, threatening my shelter. And for at least a few hours I am lost in the game. That a game can so easily transport me into its story is amazing. I cannot discount the power of that.

So thank you Ignacy. Thank you for being my companion on my own cursed and deserted island this Christmas. Thank you to the playtesters and the folks at Portal, and a nod to Z-Man for publishing this to a wider audience. Despite the game's so-called failings, I see it as a great work because of what it gave me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing your story.

I wish you and your girlfriend the best in these tough times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad you were alone... I am glad to have helped in some very very small way, and it does help to feel,part of a community who share the joy you find in something. Always feel free to come say hi here, on youtube or facebook. I hope you have made it off your deserted island now..

But glad you found solace in escaping to the cursed island, and I agree with your sentiments entirely... I never had any problems with the rules of this game.. the game guides you through it and if I make mistakes then I do not even notice (or be concerned about it) as I am so engrossed in the story.

Best wishes, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mb
All the best for you both and your families ... (hugs)
Good to have some games which let us escape and live in another world for a while.
And Robinson is truely the most awesome if you need an adventure to forget the rest of the world....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Rigby
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Having lost my Dad in 2010 I can only offer you a Hug and be glad you had something to distract you for a few hours.

Elaine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No right words to say ... only you and your girlfriend must be strong.

Thanks for sharing ... I want add that I saw the very same series of Ricky Royal's video (all of them ... 12 if I remember right) and after watching them I surfed over the rules and I was able to play.

BTW I agree with you about the rules ... I understand them without problem so all the complaints about them seem to me exaggerated.

Take care!

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to reply to each one of you to thank you for your thoughts individually but I've been so...distracted. I'm sorry for that. Thanks for all of your kind words, they mean so much.

It looks like I'll be playing Legacy: The Testament of Duke Crecy this weekend and it does appear to be another one of those masterpieces that allow for this level of escape. I'll post on those boards how that went.

Portal is blowing my mind, and the people up here are just so damn huggable.

Again, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost my Dad in 2004 and it still hurts. Thank you for your story and try to remain strong for your Dad while he fights his fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
Within minutes of setting Robinson up I can smell the salt air, feel the wind on my face and when it gets bad, threatening my shelter. And for at least a few hours I am lost in the game. That a game can so easily transport me into its story is amazing. I cannot discount the power of that.
This.

So much this.

I played it on Tabletop Simulator and ordered the base game and expansion the next morning. Will never forget my first play through with the cook, how that body washed up on shore - and despite the inefficiency of it, I HAD to properly lay it to rest in time - still not sure why, but knew it was right.

With the cooks abilities and some lucky weather dice rolls I was able to make it off that island. Been going back ever since.

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls