Ben Marks
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Powered by hobbits
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen Tom Vasel's review Ia m thinking about getting a copy of Caverna I just have one question which Ic a not find an answer to.

Tom says that there are so many choices for where to put your workers that even if you take a space that an opponent may want there is always another awesome choice. If this is the case how do I screw over opponents? Do we almost play separate games and simply see who wins?

I know this is a somewhat moronic question and I apologize but I'm trying to figure if it would fit with me before I spend the money on it!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Localhobo4u wrote:
Having seen Tom Vasel's review Ia m thinking about getting a copy of Caverna I just have one question which Ic a not find an answer to.

Tom says that there are so many choices for where to put your workers that even if you take a space that an opponent may want there is always another awesome choice. If this is the case how do I screw over opponents? Do we almost play separate games and simply see who wins?

I know this is a somewhat moronic question and I apologize but I'm trying to figure if it would fit with me before I spend the money on it!

Thanks

Tom was exaggerating a little. The game has the standard worker placement trope of "OH! I needed that spot!" But, it feels less bad, because, unlike it's older brother Agricola, you can change direction mid round, and only suffer a little bit.

Overall it plays looser than Agricola, but I personally appreciate that about it. It feels more like a game and less like running a small business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Localhobo4u wrote:

Thanks

Not only the standard " I wanted that spot " issue of worker placement, but the buildings are not so expensive that you can't buy a building someone is saving up goods for to prevent them on cleaning up on points. For example, if someone is stock piling stone, you can buy the stone storage building that gives a point per stone.

Of course, they may buy the bonus building first, but then everyone knows that large piles of stone on action spaces should not be left for that person to select.

It definitely still requires paying attention to other players but is not as devastating as Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:
but then everyone knows that large piles of stone on action spaces should not be left for that person to select.

This so much. Played for the first time yesterday and we let one player just get so many rubies and he built the Treasure Chamber... Yeah I know.. terrible mistake.

He ended up getting 18 Rubies at 2 points each... He ended up winning the game. 74 - 60 - 38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.