Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: X-Wing Miniatures Game and the new canon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
A while back I've read on arstechnica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/op-ed-disney-takes-a-...) that Disney is abolishing the Expanded Universe tier of canonicity and that there will be an official statement of what is canon. Anything that is not canon will henceforth be merely unofficial.
I wonder what the implication for the X-Wing Miniatures Game will be. We've already seen several EU ships as well as characters making an appearance as pilots. The recently announced wave 4 ships delve even further into to the EU to the point where I had to google what an E-Wing is. Does FFG have a heads up allowing them to ensure that all their game content will be considered canon?
It might feel a bit strange to have game content be "ret-dis-conned". On the other hand FFG has already taken some liberties with other franchises and e.g. introduced new characters to Middle Earth in the LotR LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Just because something isn't "canon" anymore to the bigger story, does not mean it is wiped from existence. While I do see corporate synergy starting to come up (IE LFL wanting FFG to make ships from Rebels and Episode VII), I don't think they are going to be too tough to work with to release stuff from old stories. The X-wing game isn't exactly a story that affect canon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it doesn't run afoul of FFG's licensing agreements, who cares if something is not officially canon when it comes to this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Disgustipater wrote:
As long as it doesn't run afoul of FFG's licensing agreements, who cares if something is not officially canon when it comes to this game?

I couldn't agree more. I love all things Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
voidreturn wrote:
Disgustipater wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I love all things Star Wars.

Just for the sake of inciting discussion - the point is that some parts of the game might not be Star Wars anymore.

I don't necessarily mind this. My personal perspective is that if an aspect of the game gets an official wipe, then I'll consider these as FFG custom additions to Star Wars universe. It is like FFG adding character to the LotR universe - they don't become canon and won't show up anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Eastman
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disney removing canon status? Too bad for Disney. I will always consider anything involving Thrawn or the Youzhan Vong as canon. Mickey can suck it. From now on anything Disney isn't canon, including anything Walt Disney himself supposedly did or did not do in the fifties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
frogimus wrote:
hashke12 wrote:
Disney removing canon status? Too bad for Disney. I will always consider anything involving Thrawn or the Youzhan Vong as canon. Mickey can suck it. From now on anything Disney isn't canon, including anything Walt Disney himself supposedly did or did not do in the fifties.

It makes sense. Disney wants their writer to be able to continue the story past the OT without needing to research every comic book, paperback, and harlequin romance novel written in the past 3 decades.

Bzzzzt, wrong. LucasFilms already employs someone to maintain and consult the Holocron: Leland Chee:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/magazine/16-09/...

Quote:
So Chee spends three-quarters of his typical workday consulting or updating the Holocron. He also approves packaging designs, scans novels for errors, and creates Talmudic charts and documents addressing such issues as which Jedi were still alive during the Clone Wars and how long it takes a spaceship to get from Dagobah, where Yoda trained Luke Skywalker, to Luke's homeworld of Tatooine. The Keeper of the Holocron takes this very seriously: "Someone has to be able to say, 'Luke Skywalker would not have that color of lightsaber.'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
to be fair lucas has already done similar things, a good off the top of my head example is the mandalorians, who were like backwater space warrior farmers up until a clone wars episode came out that said things differently.

Now that fact that those things changed officially, the way I view the star wars universe in my imagination has not changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
thirteenthirtyseven wrote:

Just for the sake of inciting discussion - the point is that some parts of the game might not be Star Wars anymore.

But that's the thing, it in no way does that. I can't get my head around that canon is the true line of what makes something Star Wars. If Disney says some of my favorite stories are no longer canon, and have no effect on the new movies, does that take those stories away from me. Can I no longer read and enjoy them. Does taking them out of canon remove the Star Wars logo plastered on the cover?

Disney will still have a vast library of characters and ships available. And since a miniatures game has little to no impact on the storyline of the movies, I see no reason why either company wouldn't be able to dip into that vast well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actively dislike Star Wars so I don't care if they come out with completely made up stuff from the mind of a FFG peon. As long as it looks fine and plays fine, I'm down. WOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And to head off any responses like "Well then why do you play?" it is because the game is great and I don't need to know a damn thing about Star Wars to enjoy it. Plus, if I actually want opponents, I need to play what other people are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

Well, the question is...if FFG has to run their models by Disney for approval, now (they previously established that they did need to get specific approval on each one from LucasFilm, so I assume that has continued)...

Doesn't that mean that the fact we ARE seeing these ships at all (retaining the 'Star Wars' and 'X-Wing' branding) mean they are "officially canon"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
The whole idea of canon, especially that there needs to be a person whose sole job is to actively maintain it, is so utterly ridiculous to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, a lot of the stuff that is cannon is silly, poorly conceived, and even more poorly executed.

For background: I was almost 4 when my Mom took me to see Star Wars in the theater. I loved it! That Christmas and birthday (12/29), I got figures and an X-Wing and a TIE Fighter. From that time forward, Star Wars was an integral part of my youth and early adulthood. I eagerly read and enjoyed the Zahn novels and Stackpole's Rogue Squadron novels. I played the Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, X-Wing and TIE Fighter games for hours on end.

Then the prequel movies came out, and after an initial flush of pleasure to see new Star Wars movies on the big screen, I was ultimately disappointed. Ironically, I enjoy the Clone Wars cartoons -- I think the stories and characters are well done.

I view the Zahn novels as cannon because (as I recall from the time) they were presented as official, Lucas-endorsed stories. I'm bummed that those novels probably aren't considered cannon anymore. In contrast, I'd be happy if the prequels had never happened and we only had rumor or some vague back story for episodes 1 through 3.

For my money, I've never viewed the games as cannon (including this game). They used the cannon from the movies and expanded on them, but did not create new cannon.

Nevertheless, I think it's cool that FFG has been pulling from the games and novels for named pilots from the beginning. Even though I probably won't buy the new wave 4 ships, I think it's cool that FFG has made them available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Tysoe
United Kingdom
southam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the existence, or not, of particular ship classes is unlikely to have much to do with any rationalisation of the EU. It's unlikely to make any difference to the stories that Disney want to tell. What's more at risk is the events themselves. The defender and phantom already sat within little cul-de-sacs of the universe without having a wider impact (thanks, usually, to the heroic player characters of the game they existed in).

The moldy crow- even if, for the sake of de-jediing the universe a bit, you decide to wipe out everything from Katarn's story after Dark Forces, then he can still exist off to one side of the main story, doing his thing in the crow and not interfering with the main characters.

It's the stuff involving the main characters that's going to be at risk, as that's what's in the space Disney want to use to tell stories - Thrawn and Dark Empire presumably being at greatest risk as they're the immediate follow-ons.

The E-wing did debut in Dark empire, but like I said, even if Disney decide that story never happened, they don't have to disown the ship. After all- every ship design is something that can be sold. Why junk it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rich Tysoe wrote:
The E-wing did debut in Dark empire, but like I said, even if Disney decide that story never happened, they don't have to disown the ship. After all- every ship design is something that can be sold. Why junk it?

At least the original Star Wars lives on iconic characters, weapons, spaceships and sound effects. In my eyes the E-Wing doesn't have that potential, it looks like something out of BSG meets Wing Commander fanfic. This doesn't mean that I don't approve of FFG putting it in the game and it doesn't mean that Disney will junk it. However, to someone taking that decision, it might be a reason to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people take too much for granted.
Canon in Star Wars was always exclusive to the movies and a very few other Lucasfilm productions, the Zahn trilogy, for instance, was never one of them (there was a disclaimer, that was very specific about that it was the authors view, what really happens after Episode VI is the exclusive province of Lucasfilm).
The 6 movies are canon, the novels to them and the 3 Radio Dramas to Episode IV-VI.

There is a difference between officially licensed and canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

Not anymore, though.

Disney had recently announced that, as of something like January of this year, they will be getting rid of this distinction, and 'different levels of canon', to have a more uniform approach to the license.

Which is why these fighters being *new* releases is so interesting. Yes, they are based on pre-Disney designs, but Disney would (almost certainly) have had to approve them to see them released in 2014. Which means, theoretically, they are in compliance with the new canon policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t think Disney (the mother) has any dealings in X-Wing besides holding open it´s hand for it´s share and one day pulling the plug if it doesn´t meet sales expectations.
Lucasfilm still makes all the deals on X-Wing, it´s not like it´s disbanded or something.
People put too much importance into their games, while there where people who insisted that it was George Lucas personally who insisted in a Darth Vader in every sets of Star Wars Miniatures, I doubt he had any more knowledge or interest in the game than that it existed, the rest was all done by the employees of Lucas Licensing (like with X-Wing now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't think Disney/LucasFilm really cares if X-Wing stuff is canon or not, because it has zero effect on the upcoming movies, which is a major part of dumping the EU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
I think people take too much for granted.
Canon in Star Wars was always exclusive to the movies and a very few other Lucasfilm productions, the Zahn trilogy, for instance, was never one of them (there was a disclaimer, that was very specific about that it was the authors view, what really happens after Episode VI is the exclusive province of Lucasfilm).
The 6 movies are canon, the novels to them and the 3 Radio Dramas to Episode IV-VI.

I thought The Clone Wars cartoon, The Force Unleashed video games, and the Shadows of the Empire book/game are considered canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the order goes movies/tv/books and comics/everything else.

So anything that is contradictory the category higher wins. not too sure about force unleashed there was definitely some very non canon bits in it, leia as a jedi during endor for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.