Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Maier
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My spouse and I played a few times 2P now, and we were left with the feeling that this is an amazing game with interesting mechanics, but that there is something a bit "off". Something left us wanting.

Reflecting on the issue a bit more it hit us that all games ended before one of us had managed to get more than one card. In most cases none of us managed to get enough Infamy or Research to gain a single card.

The fact that there are three card spots (and even rules for what to do if you gain more than three cards), makes us think that multi-player games are probably more drawn out and thus more involved with the added complexity of the bonus cards (mind you that many of those cards interact with other cards, such as having another player remove one of their cards).

We first tried increasing the number of quantum cubes, but that creates a need for a redesign of the map in order to avoid situations where there are less planets with spots to place cubes on than there are cubes. Six cubes does seem to increase game length to a more satisfying amount, however.

We then changed the rules so that you can gain a card with merely three Infamy and/or Research. It is still hard to gain three cards a game with this house rule, but both players will have a chance of gaining at least one with this modification, which adds A LOT to the game.

Note, that there are cards that you will have to remove to make this work such as the one that allows you to draw a card with merely four points rather than six (or you modify it to a reduction of two points rather than three).

I realize that this is far from a playtested 2P variant at this point, but I just wanted to share our experience/thoughts at this point, and see if others had similar experiences?

It might be interesting to have a few more people experiment with the six quantum cube and/or lower Infamy&Research threshold house rules described above to see if this adds to the two player experience indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do your games end with you getting only one card each when you draw a card for placing a quantum cube and a player needs to place 5 to win?

You don't get cards for infamy directly, when it reaches 6 you get to place a quantum cube anywhere (which should earn you a card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Alex,

Thanks for suggestions about Quantum. I love the idea of players inventing their own variations on the game. However, in this case I think I need to agree with Marlene - from your posting, it seems like there may be some misunderstandings about some of the basic game rules.

Just to clarify:

- At the end of your turn, you can select 1 card for each Quantum Cube you placed that turn. You also select an additional card if your research has reached 6 (that's called a "research breakthrough").

- When your dominance reaches 6, you achieve "infamy" and get to immediately place a Quantum Cube on the map. (You would also get a card because you placed a cube, as per the other rule I listed.)

With this in mind, if you're playing a 5-cube match, the winning player will get at minimum 3 cards during the game. (They start with 1 cube on the board, and get a card for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cubes - and their 5th wins the game.) So Marlene is correct - both players should definitely be getting more cards than you reported.

Finally, about creating games with more than 5 cubes - the game comes with 30 different map designs, and most of them have 6 or 7 cubes. You are totally correct that with more cubes, the games have a longer time to develop and players get more of a chance to build engines out of card combinations.

I hope that clarifies things. If you enjoyed Quantum the way you had been playing, following the rules I outlined should make it even better.

-Eric Zimmerman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Maier
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, you are right. We somehow missed that. The rules make a lot more sense now.

Thanks for the quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Smith
United States
Alpharetta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah the base map (The 3x3 version) and game is certainly lacking for two people. I really like it with the intense + shaped map that has nearly constant combat, and with 6 or 7 cubes so the game is a little longer. How have you liked it in the months that followed? I saw this was posted way back when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.