Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stars are aligned, I just won a 5p game without taking a bond! meeple I started with the baron giving 7 points to the player with the fewest bonds. Snagged a government land grant as the first action, built a track as second, delivered a cube as third. Tried to use as many useful cards as possible. Around mid-game I hade a nice steady income and was able to win by having the most money in a tiebreak.

Have you pulled this one off?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen someone come 2nd with that strategy. It's a hard strategy to pursue. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Been wanting to try this strategy for a long time zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:English, Dutch, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its tough to pull off. Won a game with only 3 bonds on Railways of Europe 4 player game best I've done. So it can be done with the big map and zero bonds I'm sure, but not easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I won once by only taking one bond. Will have to try the zero bond approach if a land grant is up at the start of the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with 1, 2, and 3 (and as high as mid-teens) but I don't think I've managed zero, congrats!

Low bonds can be really tough (zero in particular) because you have to start slow and it is easy for someone willing to take a couple of shares to predict what you want and beat you to it by taking shares. I remember one game on Western US where I had the perfect setup for it and I got it started but someone switched over and built next to me to snipe my 3 point deliveries that would have gotten me going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first cross-country game of RR Tycoon,
Mark Wagner
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
This Window Intentionally Left Blank
mbmbmbmbmb
won without taking a bond. He spent the first 3-4 turns vacuuming up hotels and land grants, correctly observing that a longer game would mean more hotel deliveries, and mean more payments on bonds. Meanwhile, I took 8 shares flying out to an early lead with the Raleigh bounty, Richmond-Atlanta line, Speed Record, and New Train. At one point, I led the pack by 40 points and Mark by 60 or 70, but as the game wore on, his infinite cash let him build freely while I struggled to with train upgrades and long-haul track costs, sucking shares on lean-income turns. I couldn't end the game in time, and he finally caught me on the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much more difficult in a 5p game due to the competition over routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game on the Western U.S. map recently in which the winner didn't take a single bond the entire game. He ended up about 15 points ahead of second place. It can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren beitz
Canada
Mississauga
ontario
flag msg tools
Yea, my wife pulled this last weekend (on the western board). She had that baron, and took the new york hotel. Player to my left(new guy) must have dropped like 5 cubes off in new york in the first few turns. Then she got a gov land grant, and completed a 'first cube to'... she was behind at first, but finished ahead of me by one point(GRR) and set our highest score yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I won on the Mexico map, 2-player with only 1 bond. It was my first game of any of the Railways of the World series. Although, I had played a few games of Steam using the basic rules which helped me understand the building and delivery mechanisms.

In the set up, a blue cube was placed in Manzanillo. I won the first player auction for 2 or 3 thousand, and built track from Guadalajara to Manzanillo for 2 thousand. On my second action I delivered the blue cube. For the rest of the game I restrained spending to my cash on hand. By the middle of the game I had plenty of cash for whatever I needed.

In contrast my opponent took out several bonds early, and ended the game with 14. On a few of the early turns he had to take more bonds just to pay all the interest on the bonds he had. He was cash starved the whole game. I won by more than 30 points.

I'm guessing there's a sweet spot between no debt and lots of debt, but I'm thinking it's closer to no debt as I saw that high interest payments can be really crippling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls