Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reading. I have done an extensive amount of research on these three games - read rules, reviews, WSIG posts, watched play throughs etc. I recognize that these games are very different from each other in style and mechanics so I'm looking for insight on the things I can't get from a lot of reviews. The two groups I play with are new to gaming but love what they've been taught so far: Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo and Pandemic. These games represent a pretty steep departure from those and that's exactly what I want.

Even if you haven't played all 3 of the games, I would love any perspective for the games you know for any of the questions you'd be able to give insight on. It's too early to tell who likes battle and who likes worker placement and who likes bidding, but hopefully your responses will help nudge me towards which of these to get first. So: for Lords of Waterdeep, Cyclades and Kemet...

Which games play well with only 2 people?

Which games handle the full 5 players best vs, say, 3 or 4? Which, if any, start to feel bogged down or too restrictive with more people?

Which game's playtime is most affected by the number of players?

Which game's conflict mechanics lend itself most to having somebody feel specifically targeted/picked more than others at the table?

Which game is most likely to start feeling old/samey/redundant the soonest?

Which game has the best/worst flexibility for starting the game with different strategies?

Which games are most impacted by its random elements (available quests, combat rolls)?

Finally - all things considered, including theme and mechanics, which game would you feel most comfortable introducing to a new group you knew little about?

Thanks so much for your time and anything you can offer. I'd gladly accept any other comments you might have from experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own Kemet and Cyclades (yet) but I have LoW without the expansions and it was a great success with players who enjoyed the same kind of games as your gaming group.

From what I read about Kemet and Cyclades, these games are a bit more complex and have a lot a player interactions/conflicts compared to LoW which is a simpler worker placement game.

I think LoW would be a "normal" evolution for your gaming group if they never experienced a WP game!

I hope this help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben Vang
Australia
Franklin
ACT
flag msg tools
No. Seriously. I mean it this time. I'm one of the good guys. Really!
badge
Inconceivable!
mbmbmbmbmb
> Which games play well with only 2 people?

I own all 3, but haven't tried any with 2. I'd say Kemet or Waterdeep, though.

> Which games handle the full 5 players best vs, say, 3 or 4? Which, if any, start to feel bogged down or too restrictive with more people? Which game's playtime is most affected by the number of players?

I actually think they all work well with the maximum. None actually feel restrictive as the boards change depending on the numbers. Waterdeep probably slows down the most, but it is short to start with, so it's not really a major issue. Kemet and Cyclades would both be faster with fewer players, but that's the nature of such games.

> Which game's conflict mechanics lend itself most to having somebody feel specifically targeted/picked more than others at the table?

Cyclades. Kemet to a slightly lesser extent.

> Which game is most likely to start feeling old/samey/redundant the soonest?

Can't say , sorry. All seem to have good legs , but I've not reach high numbers of play of any of them.

> Which game has the best/worst flexibility for starting the game with different strategies?

Kemet for the best. Worst maybe Cyclades, but worst is relative. I think all have good flexibility.

> Which games are most impacted by its random elements (available quests, combat rolls)?

Waterdeep.

> Finally - all things considered, including theme and mechanics, which game would you feel most comfortable introducing to a new group you knew little about?

Waterdeep. It is the easiest to get your head around. The first game of kemet is quite hard due to to the large number of special powers avialable.

Ultimately, I like all of them, as they scratch different itches.

Waterdeep is good, simple worker placement.
Kemet is an excellent short wargame where turtling is actively discouraged.
Cyclades is not so much a wargame as a game of manoeuver with an awesome auction mechanic for the favour of the gods.

I hope that helps somewhat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Phare
msg tools
mb
I own both Cyclades and Kemet, though have only played Cyclades a couple of times so don't feel experienced enough to comment too much on it. Haven't played LoW.

I've played Kemet many times with 2 through 5 players, and it's one of my group's favourite games (if not favourite atm).

Nobody tends to ever feel specifically targeted, unless they've managed to get a big lead. Though generally there is too much going on elsewhere with other players to allow you to ever just target one individual.

It has great flexibility for starting with different strategies because of the power tiles. I've seen guys win 2 or 3 games in a row using completely different strategies each time. The only real random element are the Divine Intervention cards, though I've never seen one of these determine the entire outcome of a game.

I guess the thing about this game is that it suits people who enjoy a lot of conflict/battles, so from this angle you might think twice about getting it to introduce to a group you knew little about. Having said that, most new players I've introduced it to pick it up relatively quickly and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see Kemet and Cyclades being compared to each other but to me LoW is not a game I would be comparing to the other two. I don't own Kemet, so can't comment on it. Cyclades to me is much more about the auction. Unless you implement house rules in Cyclades where you can set your own starting positions, the base game has set starting positions for the different number of players. The auction does help in changing your strategy each time you play but there is something about set starting locations that creates similar starts to games. The good thing about Cyclades is that the only way someone can really be eliminated from the game is if it results in the other person winning. So you can only really get picked on some much as you will always have an island.

As for LoW it scales well and if a solid worker placement game. It is easy to teach and for people to pick up. there can be a little backstabbery in the game due to certain cards and missions you might be trying to accomplish. Personally I find the theme is pasted on, so I wouldn't get too caught up on the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3; owned 2 (Cyclades & Kemet); still own 1 (Kemet). I've not tried the expansion for LoW. Here are my thoughts:

LoW / Kemet plays well with 2. Cyclades features an auction mechanic, and I've heard that it doesn't work so well with 2.

All games work fine with 5, in my opinion. Actually, these are the sort of games that fir the "more the merrier" adage.

Cyclades or Kemet - I would imagine - are most affected by play time. LoW only lasts a certain amount of turns, so even if it does feel long, you can always know and see when the end is in sight.

Cyclades or Kemet lends itself more towards feeling like one is being picked on, since there is direct conflict; whereas LoW is a worker placement game on the "simpler" side.

Samey feeling - probably LoW. The Auctions in Cyclades would keep that fairly fresh. The variable power-ups in Kemet would definitely keep it fresh.

Flexibility with different starting strategies - Kemet.

Most impacted from random elements are LoW (card draw) and Cyclades (dice rolls).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! Love this place. Pulled the trigger on LoW and played with one of my groups yesterday - instant hit. Introducing it to the other group tonight. I'll own all 3 eventually but this was a great way to introduce worker placement games. Thanks again for everyone's help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good decision, i like Cyclades a lot but for a new game group Lords Of Waterdeep is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls