james zajicek
United States
PEORIA
AZ
flag msg tools
mb
In the rulebook....Setup ...item 17...

Food crates is placed in the game...threat action field...


How do the other Wreckage cards ever get in the game ??
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You alternately use one of them. The food crate is used for first game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a variant listed near the back of the rules.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And some of the extra scenarios use them as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That question also came up after finishing the first scenario, in which one certain of the three starting wreckage cards is directly mentioned for setup.

When I was setting up scenario 2, I found no information (not on the scenario sheet nor the rulebook) which wreckage cards I should use, so we picked one randomly.

Thought it fits well with the theme and adds another random factor at the beginning besides the 2 random starting items.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm still not getting this. The rules do not mention how to use them other then the setup that is for the first scenario. I have the Zman version, not sure if its listed in the Portal rules? I guess it would make sense to randomly add a wreckage card as the first threat for scenarios 2 and up but don't understand why this isn't explained.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on page 15, right under the Harder game bit:

ZMan rulebook wrote:
Random Wreckage cards
During the setup (step 17 of setup) you can draw a random wreckage card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Statarius wrote:
It's on page 15, right under the Harder game bit:

ZMan rulebook wrote:
Random Wreckage cards
During the setup (step 17 of setup) you can draw a random wreckage card.

My Problem with this is that it comes under "additional rules".

The only mention of wreckage cards in the main rules is
ZMan rulebook pg. 6 wrote:
17. Place the Wreckage card “Food crates” in the rightmost space of the Threat Action field.
It doesn't mention how this may change from scenario to scenario, as it does explain the variation in Event cards depending on the scenario in the section just previous to it.
The section in the additional rules quoted by Statarius says "can", implying that it is an optional rather than standard rule. Reading the main rules section would lead you to believe that you always use "Food Crates."
If I were redoing things for a second edition, I would have the wreckage card instructions on the scenario cards themselves, stating "Use X Wreckage card" or "Use random Wreckage Card".
So, in the end, just reading the rules I could make an assumption that I would randomly pick one in each of the other scenarios, (why else have three different ones?), or I would always start with "Food Crates", (because why else have the random wreckage card rule in the additional rules section as a choice rather than in the main section as an overall directive?), but the rules don't do anything to solve the ambiguity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
PaulRadagast wrote:
So, in the end, just reading the rules I could make an assumption that I would randomly pick one in each of the other scenarios, (why else have three different ones?), or I would always start with "Food Crates", (because why else have the random wreckage card rule in the additional rules section as a choice rather than in the main section as an overall directive?), but the rules don't do anything to solve the ambiguity.

The setup instructions aren't specific to first scenario. You follow standard setup, unless scenario instructs you to do otherwise. So, normally, in any scenario, you use Food Crates. The other two cards are optional, for a more difficult game (or simply to add variety).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
PaulRadagast wrote:
So, in the end, just reading the rules I could make an assumption that I would randomly pick one in each of the other scenarios, (why else have three different ones?), or I would always start with "Food Crates", (because why else have the random wreckage card rule in the additional rules section as a choice rather than in the main section as an overall directive?), but the rules don't do anything to solve the ambiguity.

The setup instructions aren't specific to first scenario. You follow standard setup, unless scenario instructs you to do otherwise. So, normally, in any scenario, you use Food Crates. The other two cards are optional, for a more difficult game (or simply to add variety).

Rulebook, pg 2 wrote:
The following is the standard setup used in the basic Scenario “Castaways”. When playing a different scenario, check the Scenario chapter to see if there are any modications to the setup.

The first sentence seems to imply a specific setup for "Castaways" only. It could be read as meaning to be without any modification from the Adjusting the Rules section. But it does not make me think that it is standard setup for all scenarios. After initially reading those two lines I expected to find more information on each of the other scenario cards, or maybe an appendix with the detailed setup information for each of them, and was confused when I didn't find it. I actually thought, "Great! They told me how to set up one scenario and gave me absolutely bollucks for the other five."

Overall, I think that most game publishers could use more language majors on their staffs, to fix less than explicit language. Splitting the first sentence in two would clear things up greatly: "The following is the standard setup. Use it in the basic Scenario “Castaways”."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Statarius wrote:
It's on page 15, right under the Harder game bit:

ZMan rulebook wrote:
Random Wreckage cards
During the setup (step 17 of setup) you can draw a random wreckage card.

I just got the Portal version of this game and found the rule on
Page 27, under Varients.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls