Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: A public apology to the Grudgebearers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have said awful things about the Dwarf team. I thought them under powered and useless and even denied new players using them, claiming that they're too weak and difficult to use.
For several games now a friend of mine has played amazingly with the dwarf team and the rest of us can't seem to get a look in. He hasn't won every time but he certainly hasn't lost.
I wish I knew how he did it, when I draw them to play with they just seem to trip over their short little legs, laying on their backs in the mud unable to get up, like some kind of arthritic tortoise. I have them run at the opposition and find they're held at bay at arms length, swinging their tiny fists in the air, struggling desperately to connect.
They're just not good enough, they should stick to little league.

But my friend has certainly shown me the error of my ways after having the dwarfs (or is it dwarves?) leave me searching the field for my missing teeth on more than one occasion.

Grudgebearers (and Grudgebearer fans), I apologise for all the mean things I've said. The playing field is far more level than I thought, and I now consider you equals among all the other teams in the game...
...although I probably still won't choose to manage you all that often...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dwarves are distinctly better in a game with 4 players but I agree with you.I have had some good success with them as opponents find them an unappealing prospect and look to pick on weaker teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grudgebearers are one of my favorite teams to play. I think their strengths are a lot more subtle than some of the flashier teams. I also agree that they perform best with more players at the table. And their utility is affected by the other teams in play, maybe moreso than even squishy teams like the wood elves.

Still, I have never turned down an opportunity to play as the dwarfs. I certainly don't win every game, either, but the dwarfs make a good showing. I hope you're able to take your friends to task and crack some skulls with the Grudgebearers yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, novice players will think they are weak but they just need a bit more thought to execute well. I concur with others that they do better with more players at the table. I might also add that their Team Upgrades are very important in making them shine IMO. Their downed Star Power can be a big advantage at matchups compared to other teams' downed Star Power. Get a few Star Players with the Passing skill and look out, they can do some damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
Yes, novice players will think they are weak but they just need a bit more thought to execute well. I concur with others that they do better with more players at the table. I might also add that their Team Upgrades are very important in making them shine IMO. Their downed Star Power can be a big advantage at matchups compared to other teams' downed Star Power. Get a few Star Players with the Passing skill and look out, they can do some damage.

What are the tactics to use with them? How do you take advantage of their relatively high downed star power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.