Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I've actually played before but it's been a long time. With 5 new players how long is this game really going to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Okay. I've actually played before but it's been a long time. With 5 new players how long is this game really going to be?

If everyone is new it takes quite a while (3+ hours). Basically Dracula won't be very efficient as he won't understand the cards he has and which tokens he needs and will probably run off to sea a lot (stopping the game clock). The hunters on the other hand won't have a good sense of items and combat so even though they will probably bump into Dracula, they won't be as deadly as they could be.

In other words, if scoring is slow (mainly from the timer), the game will drag out. If you can remember how some of this stuff works, it might not be that bad, and obviously you probably want to be Dracula if you have the best sense of the rules.

Edit: Also the rulebook is pretty poorly laid out in the classic FFG style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortest game I've seen, the hunters got really lucky and killed Dracula in about 45 minutes.

Longest game I've seen took around 7 hours and saw many of the people swearing off ever playing again.

I'd say some time between those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time we played (another group) I was drac and was drawing really crappy tokens. I didn't go to sea but 1 time and the game took me 8 hours which is why I'm kind of hesitant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
shieldwolf wrote:
First time we played (another group) I was drac and was drawing really crappy tokens. I didn't go to sea but 1 time and the game took me 8 hours which is why I'm kind of hesitant.

WHAAAAAATTT!!!!??!?? That's impossible!

I have two of the slowest action takers in the universe in my group. They make 7 Wonders an epic game. I don't think I've ever had a game of Dracula last more than 4 hours.

Something is wrong here . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with new players my games take about 3 hours. 4 I would think is the top. Over that and you're doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this many times and it generally takes 2 - 3 hours. I made the mistake playing with my kids (11 year old twins at the time) and my brother-in-law. My kids took so long that the game ran 5 hours and my brother-in-law has refused to ever play again.

Best game ever, though? That would be the first time I played with my game group. I'd warned them that the game could run long. They got a couple lucky breaks and cards, and killed Dracula in southern Italy in the broad daylight...25 minutes elapsed. I hadn't even brought other games for us to play because I was so sure it'd take forever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-3h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
I'll second that being pretty near impossible - you'd either have to have a table of analysis-paralysis euro players (shouldn't have chosen it anyway then) or all new to the game and Drac ran away the whole game instead of attacking (another sure way to kill interest in playing it again).

For your original post, if you have played before (and know how to play) either you play Drac and attack often (yes, you may lose but the others will enjoy the game) or play a Hunter and guide the other hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked out once that the longest a game could realistically take is about 70 rounds. That assumes Dracula gains about the same blood from feeding etc. as he loses from combat etc. and spends 14 of his 15 Blood points at sea.

That's 70 x 5 = 350 actual turns, and assuming each player takes an average of 1 minute per turn, that's less than 6 hours. Realistically, though, Dracula won't really go to sea that much, and will probably lose far more blood in combat than he recovers.

And some turns will of course be much quicker than a minute, as the players, especially Dracula, can often plan their turns while the others are moving. In all, I don't see how a game could last more than 4 hours or so. Mine are usually 2-3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since most new players don't understand that it's not just a run-and-hide game, nor the point of halting the drawing of events, it wouldn't be especially ridiculous for a game to go 8 full day/nights (since Drac takes 6 to win, may not ever mature a vampire or kill anyone, and Vampire Lair could come up twice). Couple that with trying to figure out "how the heck do we handle situation X, the rulebook never explains this" situations, the combat cards unfortunately not mentioning what happens when they lose the roll so players have no idea what a good choice is, I can see how an average group of 5 newbies could take 5-6 hours to play.

If you are the lone experienced player, I think the #1 thing you can do to help out the new guys is to have a combat chart so they don't feel like it's just "pick any card and hope your roll is better".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls