tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing solo. I played the first scenario with each hero with no problems. Went to scenario two with two heroes. I have tried a few times and never even close to winning. Is there possibly a rule I might be missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it in a while, but I have about 10 games under my belt. All loses. I checked the rules and forum... I think it can just be really hard. The only time I got close was a 2 player game with my brother-in-law who has magic dice rolling skills.

So yeah, don't feel bad. It's hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounters can be a bit random/punishing. But there are also some skills to learn; like at the beginning it can be useful to open up a few tiles to allow yourself space to maneuver, kiting enemies (moving out of their range), using your items to maximum effect (they're no use to you dead), working your hero(s) special abilities, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard. I played the day lights out of this game and I think our stats are roughly 40/60- meaning we have lost more than won.

You start to learn strategy and the game's unique probabilities (like judging attack encounters, monster appearance, etc).

Out of all 3 adventure system games, CR is still our favorite. Keep trying and embrace the loss if you can. A white knuckle loss is always better than an easy win in my book.

If you still have trouble, add another surge like the rule book states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't help that this is also the hardest of the three D&D games. Drizzt being easiest and Ashardalon being the middle ground. As others said the difficulty can be pretty random and brutal here, especially with a few rough early event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok at least I know it's not me . Is it better to play with more than two heroes? I would think the count shouldn't matter since you activate villains and monsters after each hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
Ok at least I know it's not me . Is it better to play with more than two heroes? I would think the count shouldn't matter since you activate villains and monsters after each hero.

It's not quite the same. More heroes equals more hit points, but on the other hand, with a single hero you can avoid getting hit more easily. I remember a single dwarf kiting a dragon all over the place and not getting hit at all.

Multiple heroes allow you to use more special abilities too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the game gets a little easier as you add more Heroes. I think this might be because there are more heroes to spread the damage amongst. Most of my games have been two player, and the game really is tough that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe marty
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with a minimum of 3 heroes. Any less and I just cant win. It's a great feeling when you do finally win though. Stick in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, more heroes more hit points, the game doesn't scale well.
One useful tactic is to explore, move to a new tile diagonally next turn and explore again. The first monster you generated is 2 tiles away, so hopefully you will have killed the second monster before it catches up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to play with 4 PCs. I agree that more is easier.

Tactics definitely play a part, and emerge as you play. The temptation to all stick together (e.g. because special abilities add to HP) is usually wrong - having everyone on one tile tends to be a recipe for disaster.

Learn to use the placement rules so that e.g. you can be adjacent to a monster without being on its tile, and so on - the rules allow you to place for the advantage of the players, and whilst that seems a cop out at first, it soon becomes clear it is an important mechanic to mitigate the nasty encounter deck.

And luck is certainly important.

Tough game. We really like it, even when we lose - which is more than 50% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree in saying avoid having all your heroes on the same tile too often. Specifically, when exploring. You don't want to be drawing encounters/traps that attack all heroes on the tile. Also be careful with monsters that attack each hero on a tile.

My group got to a point where we would try to maximize our treasure gain. So if we were able to kill off 3 monsters in one turn, we may choose to only kill one, leave the others alive so we could bank more treasure.

On a side note. Between all the heroes found in the 3 games, my group agrees the paladin is pretty useless. The Ranger's At-Will attack that's a automatic hit, one of the best attacks in the game to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm... now i feel i did something wrong.
I did adventure 2 with 2 heroes (played solo, was just practicing the rules and having a feel of the differents characters to playwith my friends tomorrow ) and i won 2/2...

i played no bringing too many monster at the time.. i m planning to bring more monster up bc it kind of felt that the fighter was exploring, getting the hit, rouge killing.. and so on (with occasional extra hit from fighter)...

so i did smt wrong or i got really lucky c the rolls.. :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember to draw an encounter card each time the active hero did not explore a new tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeap..
it normally went
fighter>> hero phase>> explore and put title/monster >> villain >> my fighter got hit
rougue >> hero phase >> kill monster >> villain phase: encounter, no monsters..

once in a while i had a black arrow, so also had an encounter with my fighter (that was NOT nice..lol)
and a couple of time the monster still had one hp, so fighter got to attack

at the end it change a bit with the blazing skellies (hates those T_T ) and then the 3 monsters in the chapel...

i think i just got lucky with the monster draws and encounters..
tomorrow we are doing the real thing so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess that you probably played correctly then. That scenario is actually pretty easy as it lacks a Villain. Nevertheless, congratulations and onwards with the adventure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that in adventure 2, once you've revealed the Icon of Ravenloft any Hero who doesn't explore - or explores a tile with a black arrow - must draw and resolve TWO encounter cards (one for the special scenario rule, and one that would normally be drawn per normal game rules.) So best case scenario is you explore a white arrow tile and only have to draw one card (the one per scenario rules, which is drawn regardless of what happens with respect to exploration.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea.. i noticed yesterday that i did not draw 2 encounters cards. I was looking for something in the rulebook and was lazy so i just google it and noticed that the one they have online has a faqs at the end clarifying this. I guess my rulebook is old, i printed that pages to add it. It also clarified that the monster place in the chapel were in addition of the regulat monster (which for some reason i assume that anyway)
i dont know how much it would have change, bc i even cont playing after reaching the goal and kill 2 blazing skellies that were around in the board. But i can see how 2 encounters would make a lot if damage and ory even make me use an healing surge..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.