Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As I still have the new member tag I thought I could get away with posting this here.

I am working on putting together a large Risk game (you know, the game of global domination) event. We have tweaked the rules so that 6-15 full game boards can all be playing at once and players can travel between planets. We have made our own boards/planets and wells as some custom pieces. We have even made our own computer program/game simulating this massive game to help with testing. We will have prizes, shirts, name tags, snacks.. the even should be pretty epic. We call it, Epic Galactic Risk. And we are expecting as many as 75 people to attend! We could make the event bigger and better dependent upon funding.
It would obviously be a local thing but anyone would be welcome to come and donations would be asked for but not required.

Anyway I have a couple questions about it.

1. I kind of would like to post the rules on BGG for feedback and ideas. Where should I do that? Make a new forum for it? Upload the files the risk game page? Where/how?

2. Say the event is huge (by our standards), maybe even a recurring thing. Can I somehow make a game page for Epic Galactic Risk since its basically its own game? Obviously risk is copywritten so Im not sure how to address that. Even so it is not technically one game but rules for an event game, multiple game boards. People can come to the event but not by the game. But I just wanted some kind of.. page for itself. Any suggestions? Maybe just get lost the blog section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

1. Board Game Design Forum (link). At the point everything is firmed up, you can use Misc. / Add to Database / Board Game to create a new game.

2. IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer). Copyright isn't the problem unless you're copying Risk boards or rules, meaning literally copying: making images of them. The issue is Trademark. "(Anything) Risk" that is a game sounds like it's endorsed by Hasbro. Trademarks are usually defended: calling your game "Epic Galactic Risk" may draw a cease and desist order from Hasbro--what else do Hasbro lawyers have to do to show how useful and necessary they are? You need to ask Hasbro's permission to use "Risk" in the game name: I'll be surprised if they do it without paperwork; I suspect they'll insist they can use your rules if they like them; they may just say, "Go away: you aren't worth our lawyer's time." As a gentle start, you might chat with Hasbro customer service.

On the other hand, you can have a Risk Tournament since it's the case that the tournament will feature Risk--you're just making a statement of fact. You can't imply any endorsement of the event by Hasbro, though.

If this is a commercial event, you have to promote in accordance with BGG advertising policies: See "Advertise" at the very bottom of the page. If this is just a game day of some sort, you can announce it in the appropriate regional forum or in Risk's game forums, but do not cross post (make duplicate posts in different forums).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls