Hide
10 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pinning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nazihunter stiglitz
msg tools
Hello, I tried to play the original diskwars a couple of years ago but we had a rules querie we couldn't resolve and stopped it...

This time, this should not happen with this kind of online support.

The rules say, if unit b is pinning unit a and unit c is pinning b, then unit c is not pinning unit a. (was that understandable?)

But what if unit b is overlapping just a little part of a and then unit c comes along and pins b, but is also lying and overlapping and touching unit a. Does it pin it? Or not?

Thanks for your help, I'd really want to give this game a try this time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have not played a lot of diskwars but if i remember correctly no, you only pin the unit you are directly touching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find an example of pinning on page 4 of the rules. When disks are stacked, a disk only pins the one(s) directly below it. So in your example c is pinning b, b is pinning a but c is never considered to be pinning a, regardless of any possibile point of contact because disk b is between them.
Hope it's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nazihunter stiglitz
msg tools
Syrio Forel wrote:
but c is never considered to be pinning a, regardless of any possibile point of contact because disk b is between them.

THAT answers my question, thank you...

Thanks for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syrio Forel wrote:
but c is never considered to be pinning a, regardless of any possibile point of contact because disk b is between them.
Hope it's clear.

If there is a big scrum (see below) but then the "bridge" disk A at the top layer is killed early in resolution, are disks B and C (that touch side-to-side but do not overlap) no longer able to affect each other on that scrum resolution? And B cannot affect D?

AAAAAA
BBBCCCCCC
_________DDDDDD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Disks B and D never really affected each other but you are right, once C is destroyed, B and D are not part of the same scrum anymore. It might be worth noting that there is no such a concept as scrum resolution. The engagements are resolved independently from too to bottom but nowhere the rules say that you have to finish a whole scrum before moving to another one. It is usually practical to do that but not a requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ronaldo. I think I must have misinterpreted some bit of rules, and thought that all disks touching in a scrum were considered to be engaged with each other as a group (so A's abilities could affect D, D's powers could affect B, etc). It got confusing whether that state persisted after one or more were killed.

If the rules don't say you have to resolve an entire scrum at a time, is it the attacker's decision whether to jump around between engagements, or finish one scrum at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, it is the Player with the Warhammer who decides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I found in the rule book:

"Melee Phase
During the melee phase, players resolve each engagement. An engagement is created each time a disk pins an enemy disk. The first player chooses the order in which engagements are resolved. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But to temporarily confound what Ronaldo posted but hopefully clear up nomenclature:
Page 19 under heading Engages reads:
"A disk engages an enemy disk when one of those disks pins the other."
So don't think of engagement as only for the "pinn-er"
Also comes up with Archaens special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls