Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the time when I game, there's usually at least 5 of us. At a rough guess I'd say around 80% of my collection is for 2-4 players. I think there needs to be more games out there that can handle bigger numbers. Usually we end up playing lightweight card games and such and I'd rather playing something that takes hours rather than 30 minutes and leaves you feeling empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: Saw your list of games and answered my own question.

I would recommend Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for your next purchase.

edit: Other good 5-player games are Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), The Resistance, Space Cadets, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Rex: Final Days of an Empire, Evo, and Carson City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play 4 player games, so no - not tired at all. But I must say - the minimum of 3 players is annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
We usually play 4 player games, so no - not tired at all. But I must say - the minimum of 3 players is annoying.

I agree, but what is more annoying is if it says 2 player but it completely sucks at 2 player.

I usually play 2 players so I hate when the box lies to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weaselboy wrote:
The majority of the time when I game, there's usually at least 5 of us. At a rough guess I'd say around 80% of my collection is for 2-4 players. I think there needs to be more games out there that can handle bigger numbers.

If you read your post again the problem is clear and itis not a problem of the games themselves but you choosing the wrong ones. Simply choose games that play better with many players. There's many of them.

I would not want to see all games suddenly made to scale big because I don't think many games can scale well, even if I consider them to be very good ones. Few examples:

Caylus scales from 2-5, plays really good only 3-4.
Navegador scales 2-5, plays really good 3-4, 2 is OK, 5 is too much.
and so on.

In my opinion good games usually have a more narrow sweet spot and only few are the exceptions that scale good from few to many players. Even so, they turn to be totally different games.
So you can investigate which games play better with 5-6 and choose from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Yang
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
3-4 is a sweet spot for me. 5 is sometimes too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some excellent games that cap out at 4. On the other hand there's some excellent games that cap out at 5 (or more). Sounds like you need some modification of your collection more than anything else!

If you'd like suggestions for 5 player games then just let us know and I'm sure you'll get overwhelmed with responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It troubles me, too. Like you we generally have anywhere from 3-5 players in the group, and it's become somewhat of an 'issue' when purchasing games. I can understand people responding with 'there are plenty of 5 player games available', because I've found loads - the problem is finding games you WANT. If I was buying two player games, I'd have many more in my collection. If I was buying four player games, again, I'd have no trouble. The problem is I WANT these games, but I know they won't fit our group because I'll have to make sure someone isn't there when I bring them. The problem isn't the lack of 5 player games, it's having to pick those because the ones you want only accomodate 4 players. Sure, it's not a big life problem, but it is frustrating for a gamer.

I have my eye on Small World for exactly this reason. OK, so it looks like a great game anyway, but the fact that you can play 5 players is a big draw. I'm getting rid of Krosmaster Arena for exactly the opposite reason (though I also don't really like the game).

2 of my group play X-Wing together. They have to arrange dedicated days when the rest of us aren't there to play it, leaving the rest of us feeling a little alienated. So yeah, I feel your pain.

Zombicide works for any number of players, so that's a bonus, but I'm the kind of gamer that wants variety, and whilst I LOVE light filler games (King of Tokyo is amazing!) I would like some heavy-hitting adventures from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have the perfect excuse to buy some new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
2 of my group play X-Wing together. They have to arrange dedicated days when the rest of us aren't there to play it
If you play casually, why don't you do like us and play X-Wing in teams?

We've played 2 vs 2, 1 vs 2, and even 2 vs 3 players. There are enough ships to give 2-4 for each player. (I have 10 now.) There are nice team discussions about maneuvers in each planning phase, and it is easier to keep all the (new) pilot skills and upgrades straight in your head when you only have to handle a subset.

I build the squadrons, and the other team gets first pick. I would love to play X-Wing 1 vs 1 to learn the game strategies faster, but I don't seem to have the opponent (who would show up just for X-Wing) for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: More On-topic: the people gathered dictates which games are suitable anyway, so you will need plenty of different games to cover your bases, and generally which games work for the group trumps which games you would most like to play.

Our top 5+ -player games, starting with traitor-ish games:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game with all expansions (3-7 player, 2-4h). Best with 5 players, although Daybreak makes 4- and 6-player games almost as enjoyable. You can learn to play the game with 3 players, but I don't recommend that for extended use. We have found the correct mixture of the optional modules (and play styles) that work really well with our group, so almost every game is a very close call, most often decided by the last few turns, even the last action or crisis.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf 3-10 players, 5 minutes per game, best with 5+, good with 4. You can never play just one game. Due to length, this seems to work even when The Resistance: Avalon feels too long and people have trouble remembering the bits of information they get from voting and team suggestions. Including and removing roles can adjust the game balance, or just make the games as crazy as you like.

Core Worlds with Galactic Orders plays with 2-5 players, around 90 minutes with 3 (around 120 min with the expansion). Although I think that 3 or 4 players might be the sweet spot for this game (we play with 3), playing with 5 is possible. You only need to realize that the feel of the game is different with different player counts. With 5 the game is more random due to more players between your turns, but you also get more cards into the Central Zone, which gives a bit of balance. With 2 players you have less randomness because there is only one other player, but there are less cards coming into the Central Zone. So, the type of randomness changes.

Cosmic Encounter goes upto 5, 6, or 7 if you buy expansions. Each expansion gets you another player. But you need especially suitable group and the correct attitude and mood for this game.

We played Ascension: Deckbuilding Game (2-4) with Ascension: Return of the Fallen (2-player standalone game or adds 2 players to the base game) yesterday with 6 players. I will play this with 6 again (if requested), but there is a lot of randomness, and I prefer lower player counts.

Gemblo (2-6) is the same but different abstract game from Blokus / Blokus Trigon. A good filler, as is King of Tokyo (3-6 players), and 7 Wonders (3-7, 8 with the Cities expansion).

Shadow Hunters (4-8) is another hidden team game. Is best with 5+ players, and stretches to both casual take-that and more strategic who's-my-partner-lets-kill-everyone-else game, although with a fair bit of randomness.

Small World Underground lost its shine a bit too quickly, but that is more of a group thing. Maybe it has the wrong combination of confrontation and picking on the leader. But the game is very easy to pick up, the scalability is good, and the race and special powers are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I find most games don't actually do 5 all that well so I try to cap at 4 myself. Either there is too much downtime, or too much chaos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird, most of my games can take only up to 5 players.

Adding more players is difficult to do without increasing AP or downtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Adding more players is difficult to do without increasing AP or downtime
There are plenty of games that don't have this problem, because they somehow involve you also when it is not your turn. I have very few games that offer nothing to do during other players' turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Weaselboy wrote:
The majority of the time when I game, there's usually at least 5 of us. At a rough guess I'd say around 80% of my collection is for 2-4 players. I think there needs to be more games out there that can handle bigger numbers. Usually we end up playing lightweight card games and such and I'd rather playing something that takes hours rather than 30 minutes and leaves you feeling empty.

I too don't like it when games only play 4, but that is really the sweet spot number for games and I prefer having only 4 for lesser downtime and quicker games

But not to be unconstructive, you can try the following games,

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Keyflower
In the Year of the Dragon
Notre Dame
Libertalia
Horse Fever

I've played all of these with 5 and love them very much. Of the lot legendary is possibly the one that is not that great with 5. But the rest are very solid with more or less players. Not much downtime and very interesting decisions.

Hope it helps !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games are in the 4 player range. However, with the new gaming group I am involved with there are times when you can get a bigger group together. That said, when teaching a new game having 7+ people around can really make it drag so 4 player games still work well.

For a nice meaty 5 player game try Belfort. Works well with 3-5 and comes in a pentagonal board

Other games:

7 Wonders - plays 2-7 and is a card based civilisation builder
Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition - plays 3-12 and is a hidden traitor game (like the regular werewolf but without player elimination)
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - an epic 4X space game... with an epic time commitment too
Eclipse with Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients - another 4X space game which focuses more on building a solid economy, but does come in at around 30-45 mins per player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some oldie eurogames that work with 5 also:

Ra
Puerto Rico
The Princes of Florence
Mü & More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is fantastic at 5P.

Other games which work well at 5P (sometimes even more):

Shogun
Eclipse (better with the expansion, and it extends until 9P from 6P)
Hansa Teutonica
Power Grid (excellent at 5-6P)
Triassic Terror (I am hyped to get a copy of this game. Plays up to 6)
Kemet (excellent combat game!)

I left out lighter games on purpose, and all of the above mentioned are at least a medium level complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik A
msg tools
Terra Mystica (works even on 6 even if box says 2-5, prefer 6 to 2)
Agricola
Caverna
Dominant Spieces (low downtime due to action taking mechanism - chaotic, but it always is)
Game of thrones (needs 5 to be good - the boardgame, not the cards have not tried those)

All good games. I would look into Game of thrones if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hob "the Goblin" Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
You flinched!
badge
Now you have to marry your mother-in-law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic on Wall Street! is a game that I have enjoyed from 3 players all the way up to its cap at eleven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tired of them, in fact unless it's a heavy Feld I pretty much won't buy them now.

I have so many great 4p games that never get played because we never have 4 players, always 5 or 6 (and we don't like splitting into 2 games at 7, we certainly won't do it at 5 and 6).

So player number (min 5, pref 6) is now my primary filter buying games, and and if it doesn't pass that I don't even bother looking further. It may be the most amazing game ever, but I simply won't get to play it more than once a year at best.

The only think I hate more are 3-4 player games that even rule out playing as a couple. I understand some games don't work well at 2, but those same games almost always work well with no modification at 5 players. The game often changes slightly, but so does from 3 to 4 or any other number.

2-4 should mostly be 2-5, and 3-4 should almost always be 3-5 at a minimum. Given how many 2-6 player games I now have, there should be much more consideration given to player numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmb
There's a few games I have found that work very well with 5 players

I feel like 7 Wonders is best with 5 players, and it's good with 3-7 in general. You may want to look for games that work well with a range of players. Dixit fits this and also works well because of the somewhat simultaneous action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls