Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've been working on a game for about half a year now, and want to move the testing into the final phase. It's been playtested probably around 40 times but I'd like outside peoples opinions and feedback before I submit it to publishers.

So first the pitch. Each player is an evil genius bent on taking over the world, with the goal of the game being to build two parts to a doomsday machine and have them in your base on your turn.

The game is very simple, first the setup has you form piles of 3 identical cards face down in a 4x4 grid in the middle of the table. From the unused piles each player chooses a starting card.

On a turn a player must invent (i.e. draw one card, bringing their handsize up to two) and then build (play one of their two cards currently in hand in front of them). After this the player may choose to use any of the inventions they have in play. After using an invention it is removed from the game to the discard pile.

As stated before the player with both parts of the machine in front of them on a turn wins the game, but if you play a part early it could well get destroyed or stolen or a virus could shut it down. Additionally you'll be flagging to the other players that one of the piles you've invented from contains the precious parts.

The game is very simple to play, although there are some clever combinations of inventions which will emerge through multiple plays. There is a high degree of luck but its a filler designed to run around 15minutes so I don't think its a game breaking issue.

If anyone is interested in playing let me know. I could either let you have access to my file on printer studio (it costs around £3 to print at present) or I could send a copy over to people if they don't want to pay (which I do totally understand).

Hope to hear some interesting feedback soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Watts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds interesting, I'm happy to print and play if you've got a pdf version or I can PM you my address in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick, I've sent you a PM .

I forgot to offer up the PDF too if anyone prefers to print their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you sort the deck into sets of three identical cards and then arrange them into a grid without knowing what's where, since you can't shuffle? Unless you're doing an elaborate three-card Monte routine with the sixteen small stacks, it seems like it would be easy for a player to keep track of which stacks have the important parts, especially the player doing the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the main clunky element of the game, I'll admit. Currently I have it where u sort the piles out into their respective type, and then pull them into a facedown deck, making sure the last two piles aren't the machine.

Then when you come back to the game, a day later, you just deal 3 cards out into each pile and you can't track where the cards are. I'm sure you do have a chance to cheat but in that scenario then you'd just resort to switching the decks around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Watts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
blunder1983 wrote:
Its the main clunky element of the game, I'll admit. Currently I have it where u sort the piles out into their respective type, and then pull them into a facedown deck, making sure the last two piles aren't the machine.

Then when you come back to the game, a day later, you just deal 3 cards out into each pile and you can't track where the cards are. I'm sure you do have a chance to cheat but in that scenario then you'd just resort to switching the decks around.

I was thinking about this as part of my playtesting. What I was going to suggest is that one player chooses the piles (making sure the 2 machine piles are included) and then lays these out in a 4 x 4 grid face down (without anyone else seeing which pile is which).

Then while that player looks away (or gets a round of drinks in), another player then swaps some of the piles around (still face down). That way no player knows which pile is which.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great interest so far, and everyones been very positive which is encouraging!

Anyone else fancy a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls