Subject: Monster Identity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is identity of particular monster?

Consider Undying: is the newly placed minion figure representing the same monster or it is a new one? I believe it is the same one.
In the case of Rise Again it has been ruled that it is still the same monster I believe.
I believe that reinforced monsters are always new ones, but reinforced leutenants are identical (reinforced named monsters would be too).
Do you agree?

It is important for Affliction Aura from the new BolGoreth plot deck.

Other implications were discussed in this thread, where the designer ruled against common sense that resurrected Ogre splits into two apparently:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1022552/undying-blood-rage-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thematically it would be the same monster who comes back via Undying or Rise Again. But that's just fluff.

Mechanically, the original monster was defeated (has to be in order to trigger either ability,) which means the figure that replaces it is a new, fresh figure. The new figure loses all Conditions and other tokens the previous one might have had, comes back with full health, etc. Full status reset.

And yes, for my money, it counts as a new monster for Affliction Aura, too. (Meaning that the monster which is chosen for this card will lose the bonus ability after being defeated, even if it "comes back" via Undying or some such.) I believe that's how it works by RAW.

If you want to make a house rule that it counts as the same monster, that's cool. In that case, the monster should probably also retain any Conditions and tokens it has acquired, in the interest of fairness. It would still need to reset health, otherwise the reviving bit doesn't do much. =P

There may be other corner cases to consider as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

And yes, for my money, it counts as a new monster for Affliction Aura, too. (Meaning that the monster which is chosen for this card will lose the bonus ability after being defeated, even if it "comes back" via Undying or some such.) I believe that's how it works by RAW.

But what with reinforced Leutenants? They seem to be the same.
They are probably just healed, but the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.