Subject: Smuggler, Governor and Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
The Smuggler and Governor are positioned according to the roll of 2 d6 dice. Thus, they will both spend almost half the game at places 6, 7 & 8,  and will never visit places 1 or 13 to 16. 

A roll of a d16 or 2 d4s would ensure random coverage of the Smuggler and Governor across the whole board. So just curious to know why it's the way it is? 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears to be on purpose. The spaces around 7 are the more situational places (7- Fountain, 6- Caravansary, 8- Black Market) whereas the more "important" locations are farther away (2,3,4 - Warehouses, 12- Police Station) 1,13,14,15,and 16 are the only places that can potentially award jewels, thus making them extremely important...and not visited by either of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JJAPS2 wrote:
It appears to be on purpose. The spaces around 7 are the more situational places (7- Fountain, 6- Caravansary, 8- Black Market) whereas the more "important" locations are farther away (2,3,4 - Warehouses, 12- Police Station) 1,13,14,15,and 16 are the only places that can potentially award jewels, thus making them extremely important...and not visited by either of the characters.
Very good! I couldn't have answered that better!
Especially the Fountain is a place that you usually try to avoid, although you sometimes need it. So we thought it's only fair that this place gets some additional support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent JEHL
France
HAUT-RHIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the answers but I have just one more about the Governor :

When I draw one bonus card, may I see it before to decide to pay 2 coins to keep it or discard one (possibly other) bonus card ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lactic wrote:
Thank you for all the answers but I have just one more about the Governor :

When I draw one bonus card, may I see it before to decide to pay 2 coins to keep it or discard one (possibly other) bonus card ?

Of course this is allowed.
In German there is a saying "you don't buy the cat in a closed bag"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent JEHL
France
HAUT-RHIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain the note at the bottom of the paragraph in the rules about discarding the good or bonus card from the smuggler or governor? My interpretation basically is that "if you get a card you don't like and want to get rid of it, you can. If you do this, you're still permitted to move the pawn with the dice."

I don't understand why you'd otherwise want to discard to move them if you'd get to move them anyway. Does discarding them mean you don't pay the price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The situation is clearer with the Smuggler.

If you encounter the Smuggler, you have four options:
• Do not use its ability; the Smuggler stays where it is
• Gain a good, pay 2 Lira; move the Smuggler
• Gain a good, discard a different good; move the Smuggler
• Gain a good, immediately discard it again; move the Smuggler

The net effects of the first and the fourth options only differ in whether or not you move the Smuggler. The note makes explicit that either of those choices is legal; you may move the Smuggler or not, as you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
The situation is clearer with the Smuggler.

If you encounter the Smuggler, you have four options:
• Do not use its ability; the Smuggler stays where it is
• Gain a good, pay 2 Lira; move the Smuggler
• Gain a good, discard a different good; move the Smuggler
• Gain a good, immediately discard it again; move the Smuggler

The net effects of the first and the fourth options only differ in whether or not you move the Smuggler. The note makes explicit that either of those choices is legal; you may move the Smuggler or not, as you wish.

Perfect explanation! Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls