Serge Beaumont
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mb
When playing this game for the first time we misinterpreted the action selection mechanism as follows:

Going clockwise, a player puts a cube on a free space on the action selection card, and then either does that action, or collects resources. The other players do nothing. Play then goes to the next player.

For completeness' sake, the rule is that the active player either does the action or nothing, and clockwise the other players either do the action or collect resources.

This leads to a slower game, resources are harder to come by, but what was interesting that there was a strategy where you would choose an action not because you wanted to do it, but to prevent another player to choose that action. For instance, my son blocked me from doing the patrol action I really wanted to for a while to hold me back, and I kept him from winning by blocking the research action from him. Note that you can not be blocked indefinitely: you will always be the first one to choose an action at regular intervals because 5 action cubes are not divisible by 2, 3 or 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a rule that was tried and discarded - it does make things slower - but then this also a suggestion to the designer: it might be a good idea to make sure this interpretation is avoided by clarification in the rules. I only found out after I saw Undead Viking's video...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Yeah, the rules are unclear on this. An example of game play would solve this problem in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Yeah, the rules are unclear on this. An example of game play would solve this problem in a second.

Maybe it does need to be clarified (and a gameplay example is ALWAYS a good idea) but personally I didn't find this to be unclear.

rulebook wrote:
Take Action or Collect Resources
In clockwise order, each player may either take the action selected or collect resources. The player who selected the action must take that action, or do nothing. A player cannot choose to collect resources on a turn where that player selected the action.

The variant in the top post is interesting though. I imagine it would lead to a much longer game where you really could be blocked from something by everyone and resources would be scarce. Each round would be quite quick though so it's not like you'd be causing the game to last for an eternity. I'd be interested to hear from more people on how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls